From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
Cc: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 07:55:44
1 On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 23:40:21 +0100
2 James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 15:28:28 -0700
5 > Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > Maybe we should take an inventory of some common games and determine
8 > > where upstream wants to put them in the first place.
9 >
10 > These days most games don't even bother trying to respect FHS at all.
11 > Those that aren't only available through Steam are often designed to be
12 > just unpacked and run in place. Most games comprise of a binary, some
13 > bundled libraries, and some assets. Assuming you can unbundle all the
14 > libraries, it's sometimes sufficient to put the assets somewhere
15 > under /usr/share and then change to that directory in a wrapper before
16 > executing the binary. The only question is where to put that
17 > binary. /usr/share would be bad.
18
19 I'd say per FHS it would be /opt/foo or /usr/lib/foo (*not*
20 $(get_libdir)).
23 Best regards,
24 Michał Górny
25 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>