From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 20:11:23
1 Rich Freeman:
2 > On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Julian <hasufell@××××××××.de> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> We would need much better tools and PM support for overlays. I've talked
5 >> about this too and there are examples of at least two distros that are
6 >> running a more decentralized model:
7 >> 1. NixOS, also see my thread on nix-dev about how they want to ensure
8 >> focus [0]
9 >
10 > I still don't get how NixOS avoids some fundamental issues. As I
11 > understand it they assign a unique ID to every build of everything,
12 > and the dependencies are expressed in the same way. So, my build 123
13 > of appfoo v1.1 depends on build 456 of libz v2. Your package might
14 > depend on build 457 of libz v2, and that is fine since both versions
15 > will be installed side-by-side. Then we get to have two copies of
16 > libz in RAM and maybe build 456 has a security vulnerability. It is
17 > better than static linking, but not by far.
20 All copies are known to the PM. That's nothing like bundles libs or
21 static linkage. It's probably a triviality to develop a tool that checks
22 for vulnerable libraries (not sure if there already is one).
23
24 I didn't say we should become NixOS. It was just one example how
25 decentralized packaging CAN work. There are other examples.
28 >>> How
29 >>> can we have both games.eclass and no games.eclass but due to a
30 >>> technical/methodology change there are now less problems? Ditto for
31 >>> the two multilib implementations?
32 >>>
33 >>
34 >> Well, for once: forking an overlay is easier than forking the whole
35 >> gentoo tree.
36 >> But that's not necessarily the main point. Ideas would not be decided by
37 >> "who does something first in the tree", but by more dynamic processes
38 >> about approval in the community. Someone starts a repo and does stuff.
39 >> If people like it, they are going to use it and focus their contribution
40 >> there.
41 >
42 > So, which is it? You point out that we have inconsistencies in our
43 > tree because we have games.eclass but we don't force everybody to use
44 > it.
45 >
46 > How is it better if the games are scattered across 47 overlays
47 > instead, and some of them use games.eclass, others use something else
48 > that sticks games in an entirely different group/path/whatever, others
49 > follow upstream, and maybe half the overlays do security updates and
50 > the other half don't? Maybe half of them use the multilib eclass and
51 > half use portage-multilib.
52 >
53 > So, are we OK with inconsistencies or not? If we are OK with them,
54 > then why complain about it?
57 It is better, because you can actually choose what you want without
58 messing with complex masks and workarounds.
59 And because people could even set up monolithic repositories (actual
60 distros) that merge the work of several overlays (that's what happens in
61 NixOS afaiu, some companies seem to be interested in that work too),
62 straightening out things, checking for compatibility, removing
63 overlapping parts, etc.
64 People already use overlays so extensively that I don't think the world
65 would collapse from the user perspective. And keep in mind that a lot of
66 gentoo projects already moved their main work to github, because they
67 cannot keep up the massive amount of work without community contributors.
68
69 I think modularity does not only make sense for programming in general,
70 but also for packaging. But there must be a concept behind it as well,
71 otherwise you just get terrible fragmentation and ::mynick overlays (see
72 exherbo).
73
74 The main point about decentralized packaging is to shrink the tree (and
75 needed manpower) and allow more community effort to shape the "distro"
76 while still maintaining QA through a review workflow (to not become the
77 next arch linux user repository, aka AUR).
78 Then you can focus on what is most important: PM, EAPI, toolchain maybe
79 and most importantly... review.
80
81 But I've said most of this already.
84 >>> I think that a major shakeup only makes sense if we can actually
85 >>> demonstrate a new model in operation, and it actually solves our
86 >>> problems.
87 >>>
88 >>
89 >> I've already given two examples of a new model in operation. Also, I
90 >> haven't said "let's do this tomorrow". IMO it will never happen anyway.
91 >> I am convinced that gentoo will rather die slowly, because people are
92 >> afraid to change the course which leads us to a nice thick wall, because
93 >> we might derail.
94 >> I'm still not sure if it will die because of "lack of manpower" or
95 >> because our technology is so messed up that it becomes unusable.
96 >
97 > So, I'm not convinced that we won't find our way, but if Gentoo stops
98 > existing because we've all found a better way and moved on to it, then
99 > really there is no loss unless you're really attached to the name,
100 > "Gentoo." None of us own stock in the Gentoo Foundation. If
101 > something new already exists and is doing it better, and we all just
102 > decide to switch, then we all reap the benefits.
103 >
104 > However, it seems likely to me that if there were an overwhelming
105 > sense that a new model would really work for most of us, we'd change.
106 > The problem is that not everybody is here for the same reason, and
107 > we're best off trying to tap into that rather than fighting it.
110 I don't have a completely worked out idea for gentoo. I couldn't even
111 write a GLEP about this and I certainly won't, because it would be a
112 huge waste of time. The level of enthusiasm is just too low and any such
113 thing cannot and will not happen on GLEP level. It would have to be a
114 process, a community effort, not something the council decides on and
115 says "ok, now we can implement it" and would imply studying other
116 distros, checking out their workflow etc.
117
118 And btw., this was only one of two proposals.
119
120 My point was: it's not enough talking about "what should we focus on?".
121 How do you implement that focus?
122
123 What's your idea there, except of keeping status quo which clearly does
124 not work since even gentoo oldtimers seem to realize something is going
125 wrong?