From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Some focus for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:56:15
1 On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Julian <hasufell@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > We would need much better tools and PM support for overlays. I've talked
4 > about this too and there are examples of at least two distros that are
5 > running a more decentralized model:
6 > 1. NixOS, also see my thread on nix-dev about how they want to ensure
7 > focus [0]
8
9 I still don't get how NixOS avoids some fundamental issues. As I
10 understand it they assign a unique ID to every build of everything,
11 and the dependencies are expressed in the same way. So, my build 123
12 of appfoo v1.1 depends on build 456 of libz v2. Your package might
13 depend on build 457 of libz v2, and that is fine since both versions
14 will be installed side-by-side. Then we get to have two copies of
15 libz in RAM and maybe build 456 has a security vulnerability. It is
16 better than static linking, but not by far.
17
18 Sure, we could do that with Gentoo, but I'm not sure this really
19 addresses the concerns you brought up, like...
22 >> How
23 >> can we have both games.eclass and no games.eclass but due to a
24 >> technical/methodology change there are now less problems? Ditto for
25 >> the two multilib implementations?
28 > Well, for once: forking an overlay is easier than forking the whole
29 > gentoo tree.
30 > But that's not necessarily the main point. Ideas would not be decided by
31 > "who does something first in the tree", but by more dynamic processes
32 > about approval in the community. Someone starts a repo and does stuff.
33 > If people like it, they are going to use it and focus their contribution
34 > there.
35
36 So, which is it? You point out that we have inconsistencies in our
37 tree because we have games.eclass but we don't force everybody to use
38 it.
39
40 How is it better if the games are scattered across 47 overlays
41 instead, and some of them use games.eclass, others use something else
42 that sticks games in an entirely different group/path/whatever, others
43 follow upstream, and maybe half the overlays do security updates and
44 the other half don't? Maybe half of them use the multilib eclass and
45 half use portage-multilib.
46
47 So, are we OK with inconsistencies or not? If we are OK with them,
48 then why complain about it?
51 >> I think that a major shakeup only makes sense if we can actually
52 >> demonstrate a new model in operation, and it actually solves our
53 >> problems.
56 > I've already given two examples of a new model in operation. Also, I
57 > haven't said "let's do this tomorrow". IMO it will never happen anyway.
58 > I am convinced that gentoo will rather die slowly, because people are
59 > afraid to change the course which leads us to a nice thick wall, because
60 > we might derail.
61 > I'm still not sure if it will die because of "lack of manpower" or
62 > because our technology is so messed up that it becomes unusable.
63
64 So, I'm not convinced that we won't find our way, but if Gentoo stops
65 existing because we've all found a better way and moved on to it, then
66 really there is no loss unless you're really attached to the name,
67 "Gentoo." None of us own stock in the Gentoo Foundation. If
68 something new already exists and is doing it better, and we all just
69 decide to switch, then we all reap the benefits.
70
71 However, it seems likely to me that if there were an overwhelming
72 sense that a new model would really work for most of us, we'd change.
73 The problem is that not everybody is here for the same reason, and
74 we're best off trying to tap into that rather than fighting it.
77 Rich