From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Looking for ways the Foundation can accomplish its mission.
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 15:53:05
1 On Thu, 2018-09-06 at 10:22 -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 18-09-06 08:47:05, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > Dear Gentoo Community,
4 > >
5 > > I have recently become the President of the Gentoo Foundation Inc. The
6 > > Foundation's documents[0] provide fairly terse guidance on how the
7 > > Foundation is to be operated. The Foundation currently provides funding for
8 > > Gentoo Infrastructure, and very little else. Part of my job as President is
9 > > to determine what additional activities the Foundation can pursue (if any);
10 > > and to determine how the Foundation can improve Gentoo by investing in
11 > > infrastructure, while still meeting the spirit of the other restrictions on
12 > > Foundation activities[1]. So community, how do you think the Foundation can
13 > > assist the development of Gentoo?
14 > >
15 > > Some ideas might be:
16 > > - Host a Gentoo Conference.
17 > > - Host a bug-bounty program.
18 > > - Fund talks about Gentoo development activities at industry conferences.
19 > > - Invest significantly in Infrastructure spending to fund ambitious
20 > > projects.
21 > >
22 > > Thanks,
23 > >
24 > > -Alec
25 > > President, Gentoo Foundation Inc.
26 > >
27 > > [0]
28 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Main_Page#Tasks_of_the_Gentoo_Foundation
29 > > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Main_Page#Gentoo_is_independent
30 >
31 > One idea I had infra-wise was to expand the idea of our devspace.
32 > Increase the footprint of our virtualizatoin infra and (on request) give
33 > devs a VM for dev work. Possibly even do some arm64 or ppc64 work there
34 > too. Beyond that, running a binhost may be an idea, get people
35 > bootstrapped faster.
36 >
37 > I do agree with K_F in that targeting existing confrences would be nice.
38 > I think the two we'd have the most luck in would be fosdem scale.
39 >
40 > A bug bounty program sounds neat, we could take input on bugs to target
41 > from council I think. (I personally would like to work on make gentoo
42 > better support openstack-ansible :D).
45 It would be nice to also have an official way to quickly start off full
46 up-to-date system images, possibly in multiple variants.
49 Best regards,
50 Michał Górny