From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP web of trust
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 20:31:30
1 On 1/31/19 5:35 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 >
3 > My main problem with the GLEP is that it seems to propose a WoT for
4 > a WoT's sake and my question then becomes "why do we need a WoT?"
5 >
6 > As in, what does a WoT enable the project to do that it cannot do
7 > now?
8
9 There are multiple aspects to this, and I'm only commenting the way I
10 see it here.
11
12 being part of the WoT allows external parties to find a trust path to
13 gentoo developers, e.g when it comes to relying on communication in
14 various channels. This part could also be solved by infra running a
15 Gentoo Developer CA that signs all developers' Transferable Public Key
16 (TSP, aka public key).
17
18 More generally, being part of the WoT can demonstrate participation in
19 various developer communities. A user that is involved in various
20 upstream projects and familiar with them already can potentially be more
21 valuable as a developer for Gentoo, and can also potentially be a factor
22 for reduced tension between developers as they have demonstrated being
23 part of other communities already.
24
25 In addition comes a better certainty about the UID used for copyright in
26 signed-off-by, we as a distribution rely on this for both developers and
27 external contributors, and we need to demonstrate that we have taken
28 reasonable measures to ensure that what we add is unencumbered.
31 Kristian Fiskerstrand
32 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
33 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3