From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-12-09
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 10:07:04
1 Ühel kenal päeval, T, 04.12.2018 kell 10:54, kirjutas Kristian
2 Fiskerstrand:
3 > On 12/4/18 4:41 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > Are you asking the Council to make a policy for security team,
5 > > or to override the existing policy of security team? Because this
6 > > sounds like you're implying that security team can't make up their
7 > > mind.
8 >
9 > This is indeed part of the ongoing discussion surrounding the GLEP
10 > for
11 > the security team; Before anything should go to council on this we
12 > need
13 > to put the the current draft up for a public discussion on the
14 > -project
15 > mailing list.
18 > > Also, if the Council votes 'yes', what happens next? Does security
19 > > accept all stable arches? Do stable arches get demoted implicitly
20 > > based
21 > > on security project considerations?
22 >
23 > The assumption would be that security needs to have a say for
24 > whenever
25 > an arch is added or if requesting to remove an arch. To balance this
26 > a a
27 > GLEP48-style/QA-style lead approval process is added and criteria to
28 > be
29 > used for such determination is included.
30 >
31 > Personally I don't see a problem with the status quo where security
32 > supported arches is listed as part of security project's
33 > documentation,
34 > and removals announced etc. The actual security implication for a lot
35 > of
36 > these arches will anyways be impacted by members of the team having
37 > limited knowledge of particulars, in particular when it come to
38 > auditing
39 > due to difference in assembly etc, so the major arches will anyways
40 > have
41 > a better foundation for being handled by the team, so security is
42 > relative to what we claim to know and do.
43 >
44 > In any case, too early for the council to do anything here.
45
46 Given this subthread and the points about GLEP, I'm not sure how we can
47 discuss these things without even having seen the security GLEP update
48 proposal yet. Thus I will not add these items to the agenda (we can
49 also call them proposed over a day late, if you want), but rather
50 explicitly bring out the open bug about the GLEP update, as it keeps
51 getting delayed from meeting to meeting. Hopefully this (and it being a
52 prerequisite for the "rejected" agenda items) brings more attention to
53 it and at least something becomes ready and appears to the public.
54
55 That said, I would very much welcome b-man with this topic to the open
56 floor.
59 Mart