From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo conflicts and leadership
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2017 21:24:48
1 On Thursday, January 5, 2017 9:09:43 PM EST M. J. Everitt wrote:
2 >
3 > It is a common gross misconception that it is the role of Council to
4 > Lead. It is Not, and probably Never shall be.
5
6 Where are you getting that from? I have gone back to Daniel and seen how the
7 council came about and other things. How everyone views the council and
8 foundation is COMPLETELY wrong.
9
10 I have done extensive research. Gentoo is so far from what things were
11 intended to be. I was trying to correct some when I was a trustee.
12 Unfortunately I gave into a silent minority who most of which have moved on.
13 Yet the issues remain, problems they prevented solutions from addressing still
14 remain.
15
16 > Council is a body for
17 > facilitation only, and to that end, it mostly functions OK. I wondered
18 > once whether that should be a Foundation role, but with the ideas
19 > regarding reform currently circulating, this might be difficult to realise.
20
21 I would suggest you go back and look at how the council came to be. I made a
22 post public some time ago that showed exactly what things were supposed to be
23 from Daniel. But once he turned things over, it was lead by consensus and
24 everyone has their own vision of the foundation and council.
25
26 Yet most seem to dismiss that of the founder of Gentoo. You need to revisit
27 the ideas from the person who started and founded Gentoo. The person who
28 created the foundation, and allowed the council to replace their position.
29
30 > It is a completely different question to ask whether Gentoo -has-
31 > leadership, -wants- leadership, or indeed -needs- leadership.
32
33 It had leadership, the community drove it away, favoring some experiment in
34 organizational structure. Unlike any other FOSS project or entity in the
35 world. Despite the fact that it does not work. People keep speaking like
36 Gentoo structure is that by design and it is not. Gentoo structure is one of
37 evolution as a result of consensus decision making.
38
39 > Now, this
40 > doesn't need to go so far as to say "we're going to do This or That" or
41 > "we're NOT going to do This or That" but more that .. "we aim for this"
42 > and "our key objectives are these" and for that we probably want to
43 > appoint a new body to oversee, if that is something that either the
44 > developers or community-at-large desire.
45
46 I believe that was how things were lead when Daniel Robbins was Chief
47 Architect.
50 William L. Thomson Jr.