From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Hiding problems, breach of Gentoo Social Contract
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 12:36:48
1 On 12/02/2016 09:10 PM, Craig Inches wrote:
2 > I think privacy from the wider community would be a good thing in the
3 > first instance for two reasons.
4 > a) it allows people to come forward in confidence that they wont be
5 > targeted by the accused for what ever reason.
6 > b) it allows the accused to deal with the issue quietly, and resolve
7 > the issue without it becoming a bigger issue than it needs to (an
8 > misunderstand blows out to much more, or false allegations tarnish
9 > their reputation.
10 >
11 > I agree with Rich, I haven't seen an organisation make all complaints
12 > handling a completely transparent and open processes it has too much
13 > risk of abuse.
14 >
15 > What I think is important though is that both parties involved have
16 > information about the events/complaints/examples. If you cant give
17 > this, then how are they to discuss the issue, or defend themselves
18 > against COMREL/Complainant.
19 >
20 > I realize I am not a dev, but for awhile I was actively pursuing this
21 > and the situation with Idella4 (who was my mentor) has made me have
22 > second thoughts, from the information I have been able glean about
23 > what occurred, and also the way his retirement was handled cause
24 > confusion and disillusionment with the whole process for me at least
25 > and I think a few non-devs from Proxy-Maint IRC channel feel the same.
26 Please do not let this dissuade you from becoming a Gentoo developer.
27 Despite the current situation and the giant books being written about
28 comrel, council, and others, this is not the norm. Many developers
29 contribute everyday with no interference or thoughts of either. Hell, I
30 did not even know they existed aside from the quizzes. No one focuses
31 on the good things they have done... that is for sure.
34 > Just me 2cents
35 >
36 > Craig
37 >