From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 16:52:19
1 On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 15:01:39 +0100
2 Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > [Sent from my iPad, no OpenPGP signature on this device so be careful
5 > with any comment that might seem controversial]
6 >
7 > > On 05 Feb 2015, at 07:56, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 > >
9 > > Hello, everyone.
12 > ...
15 > > 1. remove or reduce the ebuild quiz to a reasonable number of
16 > > questions. In other words, make it bearable. Focus on the stuff that
17 > > can't be checked otherwise.
20 > The quizzes are already relatively easy, in general I'd be cautious
21 > before reducing the bar to add new developers, however, read further
22 > on
25 I agree. It did not take me very long to find the info, copy/paste it.
26
27 So much so, that I forgot most of it... I really don't see how some
28 people find it too hard to find the answers.
31 > > 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits
32 > > to the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the requests,
33 > > review them and decide when the recruit is ready. We may extend
34 > > this with requirements like '3 different developers must review
35 > > late activities and evaluate them'.
36 > >
37 > > 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather than
38 > > treating the interrogation as some kind of final confirmation, make
39 > > it a small extra part of the learning process. In other words,
40 > > reduce the other parts, fill in the blanks here.
41 > >
42 > > What do you think?
45 > My two cents is that we should focus on getting in more contributions
46 > through proxy maintenance and use that period as a sort of a mentor
47 > period before suggesting contributors to take the dev quizzes. A git
48 > style setup with pull requests might very well be beneficial here to
49 > make it easier to contribute. There are a lot of areas where people
50 > can contribute without requiring access to the tree directly.
51
52 I agree with the above. That it is the mentors responsibility to manage
53 the apprenticeship and put them up when ready for the recruiters final
54 exam.
57 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>