From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: "gentoo-project@l.g.o" <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 14:01:47
1 [Sent from my iPad, no OpenPGP signature on this device so be careful with any comment that might seem controversial]
2
3 > On 05 Feb 2015, at 07:56, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > Hello, everyone.
8 ...
11 > 1. remove or reduce the ebuild quiz to a reasonable number of
12 > questions. In other words, make it bearable. Focus on the stuff that
13 > can't be checked otherwise.
16 The quizzes are already relatively easy, in general I'd be cautious before reducing the bar to add new developers, however, read further on
17
18 > 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits to
19 > the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the requests, review
20 > them and decide when the recruit is ready. We may extend this with
21 > requirements like '3 different developers must review late activities
22 > and evaluate them'.
23 >
24 > 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather than
25 > treating the interrogation as some kind of final confirmation, make it
26 > a small extra part of the learning process. In other words, reduce
27 > the other parts, fill in the blanks here.
28 >
29 > What do you think?
32 My two cents is that we should focus on getting in more contributions through proxy maintenance and use that period as a sort of a mentor period before suggesting contributors to take the dev quizzes. A git style setup with pull requests might very well be beneficial here to make it easier to contribute. There are a lot of areas where people can contribute without requiring access to the tree directly.