From: zlg <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, trustees@g.o, gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] RFC: Expanding Foundation Bylaws, section 4.9 Termination from Membership
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 04:50:57
1 The Bylaws text[1] currently indicates this:
2
3 ~~~
4 Section 4.9. Termination from Membership.
5
6 Membership may be terminated by a majority vote of the board of trustees
7 in the event that any member acts contrary to the purpose(s) of the
8 Gentoo Foundation.
9 ~~~
10
11 I propose a bylaw specifically outlining certain behaviors that will not
12 be tolerated by the Foundation under any circumstances. Namely, the use
13 of legal threats to short-circuit established conflict resolution
14 processes laid out by the Gentoo Foundation (and Comrel), including
15 threats against Officers.
16
17 Here's a rough draft of what I have in mind:
18
19 ~~~
20 Section 4.9.1: Aggressive Legal Behavior
21
22 Foundation members who engage in aggressive legal behavior shall
23 surrender their Foundation membership immediately, and may re-apply for
24 membership no sooner than the end of the current Trustee term, at the
25 sole discretion of the sitting Trustees.
26
27 Aggressive legal behavior includes, but is not limited to:
28
29 * Insinuating or implying that legal action may follow if demands are
30 not met;
31 * Threatening legal action against a Foundation member or Officer
32 personally;
33 * Contacting the employer of a Foundation member or Officer in an
34 attempt to cut off their source of personal income.
35 ~~~
36
37 (Trustees may want to replace "surrender ... immediately" with "per a
38 vote of Trustees", if a more democratic process is desired)
39
40 Rationale
41 ---------
42
43 The Gentoo Foundation and its officers have been on the receiving end of
44 such threats in the past. It is not in the spirit of Gentoo or its Code
45 of Conduct to legally coerce others into compliance with one's will. By
46 acting directly against another Foundation member or a Foundation
47 Officer, the person communicating legal threats is an existential threat
48 to the Foundation itself and "raises the temperature" [2] of the
49 community. This reduces positive community participation and destroys
50 morale, whether this occurs in public or in private. It is not healthy
51 for the continued operation of the Foundation, or the community that
52 supports it, to tolerate aggressive legal behavior. Thus, I ask the
53 Trustees to consider adding explicit notes about such destructive
54 conduct to the bylaws.
55
56 I believe that the addition and enforcement of such a bylaw will result
57 in more civil and direct communication among Foundation members, and
58 encourage us to solve problems on our own instead of threatening to use
59 law as a weapon against each other. Additionally, such behavior is
60 counter to the purposes of the Foundation. Legitimate legal concerns can
61 be communicated in good faith without threatening others, using weasel
62 words, or attempting to silence other members by force.
63
64 Such behavior concerns me due to the growing prevalence of things like
65 SWATting[3], which has resulted in the deaths of innocent people. [3's
66 references, 4] I do not think Gentoo is immune to this; a proactive
67 approach is needed to curb this type of behavior before it has time to
68 build.
69
70 Thank you for reading.
71
72 ~zlg
73
74 [1]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Bylaws#Section_4.9._Termination_from_Membership.
75 [2]: http://freenode.net/changuide
76 [3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatting
77 [4]: WARNING: CONTAINS POLICE BODY CAM FOOTAGE. NOT SAFE FOR WORK
78 http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article192111974.html