From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-05-14
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 17:35:31
1 On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
2 <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, 01 May 2013 10:27:27 -0700
4 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
5 >> > It's necessary, and the way to convince developers is to stop
6 >> > providing a nasty hack as a not-really-working alternative.
7 >>
8 >> As downstream packagers, do we or can we really expect to have that
9 >> much influence of upstream developers? If the big binary distros are
10 >> willing to package these things without complaints, then how likely
11 >> is it that upstream developers will change their ways?
12 >
13 > Big binary distros already deal with this problem...
14
15 Well, if you only support one version of every library and change them
16 all in lockstep a few times a year, then this becomes a complete
17 non-issue. However, if you're going to do that then a big part of the
18 value that Gentoo creates is lost.
19
20 Honestly, this seems a bit like hurting our users so that developers
21 feel sorry for them and jump through hoops. We might as well threaten
22 to kill kittens anytime the bug wrangler list goes over a certain
23 threshold, or a GLSA stays open too long.
24
25 Sure, I'd prefer a perfect world to a better world, but I'm not going
26 to get a perfect world, so I'd prefer a better world to the one I live
27 in today.
28
29 Rich