From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2017 03:29:33
1 On 06/01/17 23:01, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
3 >> More, the intellectual curiosity how we could improve the cryptographic
4 >> reliability of Gentoo in realistic terms via trust webs is a discussion
5 >> in itself.
6 >>
7 >> The main point of this thread was to attempt to create this web of
8 >> trust by forcing new users be signed.
9 >>
10 >> But the overall objective is not to deter contributors, but to improve
11 >> the WoT by realistic means.
12 >>
13 >> So exploring the mechanisms by which we achieve the WoT independently
14 >> of whether or not we make it a barrier to entry I think is the thing to
15 >> focus on.
16 > So, I was chatting with k_f about this on the side, but I think
17 > something you should look at is creating a voluntary framework to
18 > encourage this. Nobody is going to object to that, and it lets you
19 > get a sense of what it takes. If it works really well then maybe
20 > there would be interest in making it mandatory, and if nobody likes it
21 > then probably not. Either way though it probably will capture a lot
22 > of the value without becoming a barrier to anybody.
23 >
24 > This isn't unlike where we ended up in discussions around copyright
25 > assignment. For all of its benefits it also causes some sticky
26 > issues, and you can probably get 80% of the benefit on a voluntary
27 > basis, so that is the direction we've been moving in.
28 >
29 +1 try it out .. see what breaks .. look at the viability, work through
30 some issues, assess the pro's and con's ...