From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 23:01:30
1 On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > More, the intellectual curiosity how we could improve the cryptographic
4 > reliability of Gentoo in realistic terms via trust webs is a discussion
5 > in itself.
6 >
7 > The main point of this thread was to attempt to create this web of
8 > trust by forcing new users be signed.
9 >
10 > But the overall objective is not to deter contributors, but to improve
11 > the WoT by realistic means.
12 >
13 > So exploring the mechanisms by which we achieve the WoT independently
14 > of whether or not we make it a barrier to entry I think is the thing to
15 > focus on.
16
17 So, I was chatting with k_f about this on the side, but I think
18 something you should look at is creating a voluntary framework to
19 encourage this. Nobody is going to object to that, and it lets you
20 get a sense of what it takes. If it works really well then maybe
21 there would be interest in making it mandatory, and if nobody likes it
22 then probably not. Either way though it probably will capture a lot
23 of the value without becoming a barrier to anybody.
24
25 This isn't unlike where we ended up in discussions around copyright
26 assignment. For all of its benefits it also causes some sticky
27 issues, and you can probably get 80% of the benefit on a voluntary
28 basis, so that is the direction we've been moving in.
31 Rich