From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Evidence of idella4's damage to Gentoo, please
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 01:02:20
1 On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 7:45 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > That right there is the biggest issue. That comment is one sided. It is
5 > expected from the "miss-behaving developer", but it never comes from Gentoo.
6 > I have never seen anyone in Comrel/devrel say the above.
7 >
8 > Ok maybe I blew it and mishandled a situation. Maybe we should not have
9 > censored someone on IRC/MailingList, etc. Maybe we overreacted with punishment
10 > etc and made a situation much bigger. Maybe we did not need to get involved.
13 If I ever feel that I've handled a situation incorrectly in my role on
14 the Council, I'll be sure to apologize.
15
16 I've stated how I feel about the CoC in general in my manifesto
17 several times. Hopefully nobody is too shocked that I maintain a
18 similar position still. I'm happy to revise it as needed in the
19 future, but ultimately if individuals appeal cases to the Council, and
20 I see evidence that they weren't following the CoC, and I am not
21 convinced that they intend to follow the CoC in the future, then I'm
22 not going to interfere with Comrel. That is a general statement, and
23 those who feel that it applies to themselves can apply it as
24 appropriate.
25
26 It isn't like this happens very often. About the only thing that
27 Comrel could to not "overreact" (if that is how we deem such cases) is
28 to never kick anybody out for any reason at all. I doubt it has
29 happened more than a half-dozen times or so in the entire history of
30 Gentoo, though I can't vouch personally for its early history.
31
32 I get that your position is that we simply shouldn't enforce a code of
33 conduct. You're welcome to hold that opinion, and I'd never advocate
34 censoring it. However, it isn't the opinion I hold, and that is
35 something I've always been up-front about, as have a few others on the
36 Council. Ultimately it is a call the developers get to make in the
37 end by choosing who they vote for.
40 Rich