From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 17:14:46
1 On 10/13/2016 11:35 AM, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > Current bylaws state that to become a member you need to petition the
3 > trustees for membership to the foundation. What verification is done by
4 > trustees is up in the air. Members also seem to be members for life
5 > unless they remove themselves are are removed by a vote of the trustees.
6 >
7 > I suggest we use and/or modify the existing staff quiz for use as a
8 > guide for who to admit, as 'graded' by trustees. I also suggest that
9 > some for of positive acknowledgement that they will adhere to the CoC
10 > would be helpful as well.
11 >
12 > Now, some have floated the idea that the foundation membership is
13 > somewhat defunct, and that may be the case. Personally I think it
14 > should be reaffirmed each year (or some other time period that is agreed
15 > upon). But to 'clean' it up I think we should ask the existing members
16 > to at least agree to the CoC, and possibly also be staff.
17 >
18 > It's also been suggested that the foundation (active) membership is
19 > waning, so once / if we decide on an update to the membership policy I
20 > think we should mail the lists petitioning for memebers (-dev -project
21 > and maybe some others)
22 >
23 > The above would be an update to the bylaws and I want feedback before I
24 > propose it as an update.
27 I've opened this up for comments (and slightly updated it) because email
28 is a horrible form for document editing.
29
30 Also, this is _MY_ working document, if tangents come off it it in the
31 comments that _I_ don't see as useful they will be removed. Don't get
32 mad if I don't take your change as this is my proposal. If you disagree
33 go make your own :P
34
35 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1a4s20RMG9DxfMAKxS7VQb5-Dmb64IFIYBXbYtSkyiwk/edit?usp=sharing
38 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)