From: kuzetsa <kuzetsa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v4]
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 14:40:57
1 On 09/27/2018 10:32 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2018-09-27 at 09:52 -0400, NP-Hardass wrote:
3 >> On 09/27/2018 08:42 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 8:00 AM NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> On 09/26/2018 03:25 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
7 >>>>> Here is another small update of the copyright GLEP, resulting from a
8 >>>>> recent discussion on IRC. This is not a change of policy, but merely
9 >>>>> a clarification of the real name requirement:
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> - The Signed-off-by line must contain the name of a natural person.
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>> - A copyright holder can be a legal entity (e.g., a company) in some
14 >>>>> jurisdictions.
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>
17 >>>> IANAL, but as per the Berne Convention, anonymous and pseudonymous works
18 >>>> are granted copyright protection. What's the rationale behind mandating
19 >>>> a real name?
20 >>>
21 >>> The DCO/GCO have nothing to do with obtaining copyright protection.
22 >>> This is always present if not waived.
23 >>>
24 >>> It is about showing due diligence in the event somebody claims that
25 >>> somebody ripped off their work and contributed it to Gentoo without
26 >>> authorization.
27 >>>
28 >>> If your real name is attached to a statement saying that you didn't
29 >>> steal the work, and you did steal the work, then they can go after you
30 >>> as well as Gentoo. That deters contributing stuff without checking on
31 >>> its legality. That same deterrence also helps show good faith on
32 >>> Gentoo's part. This is why organizations generally pursue these
33 >>> policies.
34 >>>
35 >>> If somebody violates a copyright anonymously, then they have no skin
36 >>> in the game. They can just disappear if anything bad happens. If a
37 >>> contributor isn't willing to stake their own money and reputation on
38 >>> the statement that something is legal to contribute, then why should
39 >>> Gentoo assume that they've put a lot of effort into the accuracy of
40 >>> that statement?
41 >>>
42 >>
43 >> And, AFAICT, this only applies to the Signed-off-by line (the
44 >> committer). The author may be anonymous or pseudonymous... So, your
45 >> statement is that people making commits to Gentoo must have real
46 >> names... and be public. This doesn't have any impact on whether the
47 >> source of the code is legit, just gives you a point of blame for who
48 >> actually committed it (which, TBH, doesn't mean much). I can say John
49 >> Doe committed code that wasn't legal. But i_steal_code_1337 authored
50 >> it... I guess we know not to accept code from him... or do we... since
51 >> we have no way of vetting authors. Making the restriction of names for
52 >> committers and not authors, IMO, has no weight. Requiring that all
53 >> contributions be from real named sources is a pretty drastic change, and
54 >> not what is being proposed, TTBOMK.
55 >>
56 >> But that's really besides the point... The current status quo (as is the
57 >> case with me) is that a committer may be pseudonymous under the
58 >> condition that the Foundation have that individual's name in the event
59 >> of a copyright issue. So, I still don't understand how forcing everyone
60 >> to publicly use a real name achieves something that we aren't currently
61 >> achieving... Is that incorrect?
64 > Gentoo publishes a number of open source projects. The code of those
65 > projects is used beyond Gentoo and beyond Gentoo Foundation. Therefore,
66 > it is natural that we need all the copyright assessments and agreements
67 > to be *public* and not hidden behind some opaque Foundation which may or
68 > may not actually have the data (how can a regular Gentoo user be sure of
69 > that?), and which may or may not choose to actually disclose it.
70 >
71 > As for the case with you, I think the 'status quo' is more complex but
72 > that's beside the point, and I don't think it would be helpful to anyone
73 > expanding on that.
76 for what it's worth, when I originally realized I didn't need to author
77 commits using my legal name I came to that decision after a discussion
78 with NP-Hardass. Just sayin'