From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] GLEP 76: Copyright Policy [v4]
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 14:32:43
1 On Thu, 2018-09-27 at 09:52 -0400, NP-Hardass wrote:
2 > On 09/27/2018 08:42 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 8:00 AM NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
4 > > >
5 > > > On 09/26/2018 03:25 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
6 > > > > Here is another small update of the copyright GLEP, resulting from a
7 > > > > recent discussion on IRC. This is not a change of policy, but merely
8 > > > > a clarification of the real name requirement:
9 > > > >
10 > > > > - The Signed-off-by line must contain the name of a natural person.
11 > > > >
12 > > > > - A copyright holder can be a legal entity (e.g., a company) in some
13 > > > > jurisdictions.
14 > > > >
15 > > >
16 > > > IANAL, but as per the Berne Convention, anonymous and pseudonymous works
17 > > > are granted copyright protection. What's the rationale behind mandating
18 > > > a real name?
19 > >
20 > > The DCO/GCO have nothing to do with obtaining copyright protection.
21 > > This is always present if not waived.
22 > >
23 > > It is about showing due diligence in the event somebody claims that
24 > > somebody ripped off their work and contributed it to Gentoo without
25 > > authorization.
26 > >
27 > > If your real name is attached to a statement saying that you didn't
28 > > steal the work, and you did steal the work, then they can go after you
29 > > as well as Gentoo. That deters contributing stuff without checking on
30 > > its legality. That same deterrence also helps show good faith on
31 > > Gentoo's part. This is why organizations generally pursue these
32 > > policies.
33 > >
34 > > If somebody violates a copyright anonymously, then they have no skin
35 > > in the game. They can just disappear if anything bad happens. If a
36 > > contributor isn't willing to stake their own money and reputation on
37 > > the statement that something is legal to contribute, then why should
38 > > Gentoo assume that they've put a lot of effort into the accuracy of
39 > > that statement?
42 > And, AFAICT, this only applies to the Signed-off-by line (the
43 > committer). The author may be anonymous or pseudonymous... So, your
44 > statement is that people making commits to Gentoo must have real
45 > names... and be public. This doesn't have any impact on whether the
46 > source of the code is legit, just gives you a point of blame for who
47 > actually committed it (which, TBH, doesn't mean much). I can say John
48 > Doe committed code that wasn't legal. But i_steal_code_1337 authored
49 > it... I guess we know not to accept code from him... or do we... since
50 > we have no way of vetting authors. Making the restriction of names for
51 > committers and not authors, IMO, has no weight. Requiring that all
52 > contributions be from real named sources is a pretty drastic change, and
53 > not what is being proposed, TTBOMK.
54 >
55 > But that's really besides the point... The current status quo (as is the
56 > case with me) is that a committer may be pseudonymous under the
57 > condition that the Foundation have that individual's name in the event
58 > of a copyright issue. So, I still don't understand how forcing everyone
59 > to publicly use a real name achieves something that we aren't currently
60 > achieving... Is that incorrect?
63 Gentoo publishes a number of open source projects. The code of those
64 projects is used beyond Gentoo and beyond Gentoo Foundation. Therefore,
65 it is natural that we need all the copyright assessments and agreements
66 to be *public* and not hidden behind some opaque Foundation which may or
67 may not actually have the data (how can a regular Gentoo user be sure of
68 that?), and which may or may not choose to actually disclose it.
69
70 As for the case with you, I think the 'status quo' is more complex but
71 that's beside the point, and I don't think it would be helpful to anyone
72 expanding on that.
75 Best regards,
76 Michał Górny