From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 16:41:36
1 On Friday, January 6, 2017 11:24:15 AM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 10:57 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
3 >
4 > <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Friday, January 6, 2017 1:10:48 PM EST Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
6 > >> * The electorate lists for the "council" or "board" are handled by
7 > >> ourselves, and do not require membership of any legal body.
8 > >
9 > > Again you have to have something legal to protect the name and other IP.
10 > > There is no getting around that period.
11 >
12 > I think the thing you missed in this and most of your other replies to
13 > his email is that this would be the results of dissolving the
14 > Foundation and transferring its assets to SPI or a similar
15 > organization.
16
17 I think you all are missing my experience and research into this matter.
18 Again go look into -nfp archives. You will find a pretty in depth discussion
19 with lots of details you all are seeking to revisit. Learn from the past or
20 repeat your choice.
21
22 > To avoid a second email, the issue of the single liaison may have been
23 > resolved by Debian, and we would need to follow-up to confirm.
24
25 I spoke with the SPI as a trustee before... Has anyone else discussing this?
26
27 They have a single liason. This is the SPI's model and it is not subject to
28 change.
29 http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/debian/
30
31 Look at any project, click on them, 1 liason.
32 http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/
33
34 At best you can have a backup, but that comes with its own issues
35 http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/aptosid/
36
37 One thing you also are all not realizing. You apply for the SPI and must be
38 accepted. It is not a guarantee. Gentoo would need a backup plan if it was not
39 accepted. Given the issues with the IRS I am not sure if Gentoo would be
40 approved. They would have tremendous work potentially. It is not like the
41 house is in order and asking them to simply take over.
42
43 Also the SPI encourages members of said project to join their organization and
44 take part in SPI governance. Which people object to doing such with the
45 Foundation now, and that will not make that problem any better.
46
47 People seriously do not understand the scope or details.
50 William L. Thomson Jr.