From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] [RFC] CoC change to encourage clear communication
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 23:14:01
1 Hi,
2
3 I'd like to propose amending Gentoo's CoC through adding the following
4 point:
5
6 - *Use concise and clear language.* The Gentoo community includes
7 people from all over the world, with varying English skills and
8 available time.
11 Rationale:
12
13 The primary purpose of communication on Gentoo media is to share
14 information. In order for this goal to be achieved, it is important
15 that the recipients of the message (presumably arbitrary Gentoo users
16 following the mailing lists) can understand these messages.
17
18 Furthermore, we should note that people don't have infinite time to
19 spend on reading mails. Both sending unnecessarily long mails
20 and using hard to understand language means that both users and
21 developers have to spend ever increasing amount of time to participate
22 or at least follow conversations. Eventually, it means that some
23 people who can't afford to read all the text are excluded.
24
25 In my opinion, it's also a matter of respecting others and their time.
26 In the extreme case, some people are deliberately participating
27 in the described way in order to waste other people's time, to exclude
28 them if they can't manage to keep up, to push their ideas forward while
29 drowning the opposition in the storm of long replies.
32 Best regards,
33 Michał Górny