From: desultory <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Shutting down the Off the Wall
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 05:14:28
1 On 12/01/20 09:58, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 10:07:53PM -0800, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 7:15 PM Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o>
4 >> wrote:
5 >> (1) I strongly prefer folks to make a good faith effort to work with others.
6 >
7 > <snip>
8 >
9 > There has been a steady escalation here by the council and various other
10 > developers. So, this is satisfied (or is that subjective of me to
11 > assume?). Is there a metric for establishing whether good faith has
12 > occured?
13 >
14 It is not subjective of you to assume that good faith has been
15 exercised, it is outright disingenuous. If you seriously have trouble
16 finding ways in which council members have acted in bad faith in regard
17 to this motion, pointing them out again will be every bit as futile as
18 when they were pointed out before.
19
20 >> (2) I want to make decisions based on shared goals and policies, not
21 >> people's personal preferences.
22 >
23 > No matter how much you want to be objective... we are humans and
24 > subjectiveness is a part of that. The CoC is a shared policy... hell,
25 > some may even say it isn't as they weren't there to adopt/formalize it.
26 > So, there's that.
27 >
28 >> (3) I want to make decisions based on data. To that end I've tried to
29 >> provide some data to clarify some various points.
32 > I don't find the data here relevant. Regardless of
33 > who/what/where/when (which is what data will give us)... I want to
34 > understand the why.
35 >
36 > Quite simply, the why is... because people have nothing better to do on
37 > a forum meant for something completely different. More on this later.
38 >
39 So, data is irrelevant, but your suppositions are pure, unvarnished, and
40 unsupported, gospel Truth?
41
42 >> Also FYI: What about the polish OTW (
43 >> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-61.html)
46 > Not really sure what relevance this plays as I do not know Polish. Also,
47 > relying on automatic translation of such content, in this context, seems
48 > short-sighted.
51 >>>
52 >>> Rationale:
53 >>>
54 >>> * provides zero value to the distribution
55 >>>
56 >>
57 >> I think the OTW forum does provide value. Can you elaborate on why you
58 >> think the value is 0?
59 >>
60 >> For example, forum-mods move offtopic threads from other forums into OTW,
61 >> so it serves as a holding bin for those conversations. We could advocate
62 >> moving those to the dustbin, but the dustbin is readonly, so threads may
63 >> come back.
64 >>
65 >> In addition there are those who believe that the offtopic nature of OTW
66 >> keeps the rest of the forums a nicer cleaner place, and that suppressing
67 >> this content can have unintended consequences. So I request that you do
68 >> consider the 2nd and 3rd order consequences of this decision.
71 > Pump the breaks. So, you are justifying that they do play a role because
72 > it provides a dumping ground for things that *are not* relevant to the
73 > forums?
74 > By volume, compared to the forums as a whole, Off the Wall is comparable
75 to the volume of off topic content present on other channels but it is
76 segregated from the on topic discuss, unlike other channels.
77
78 > Furthermore, it is not suppression. It is ensuring that the nature of
79 > the forums is *relevant* to the goal of the forums... which is to support
80 > the Gentoo distribution (here comes the subjectiveness). How threads
81 > discussing politics, conspiracy theories, or other shenanigans relates
82 > to Gentoo's goals is beyond me.
83 >
84 As antarus pointed out in another reply to your post, it is indeed
85 suppression literally by the definition of the word. To claim that Off
86 the Wall, by mere fact of existence, somehow makes the forums as a whole
87 not "*relevant* to the goal of the forums" is utterly absurd. And,
88 again, such discussions take place in channels that are explicitly
89 dedicated to technical usage, but you dismiss that as not being
90 problematic despite those channels being expressly misused while Off the
91 Wall is expressly not being misused when it is used for "discussing
92 politics, conspiracy theories, or other shenanigan".
93
94 Your argument is analogous to claiming that drinking water treatment
95 facilities should be removed because they collect things that you would
96 rather not drink in a place that you would not be drinking from, instead
97 of letting those things enter the water supply in the concentrations
98 that they exist in the source water. Sure, you can pick out the chunky
99 bits yourself, but why should everyone be forced to do that when the
100 water can be centrally filtered to a higher standard?
101
102 > FTR, there are threads discussing very dark times in the world's
103 > history such as Hitler etc. Are these really things we want our
104 > sponsors' monies/hardware and our donations going to support? Are we
105 > really being good stewards of the monies, hardware, etc donated to
106 > further our cause as a distro?
107 >
108 Some people have an interest in history, and what it can teach us.
109 Including how and why the worst aspects of it came to pass, along with
110 whether and in what ways current events reflect those of the past. It is
111 ironic that you specifically highlight an individual known for
112 suppressing thought and speech which he considered to be undesirable, to
113 make it easier for him and those following him to engage in acts which
114 were beyond barbaric, to support your position that we should
115 necessarily suppress thought and speech which you consider to be
116 undesirable.
117
118 As for your questions, the hardware that the forums are hosted on was
119 donated for the hosting of the forums on the condition that the company
120 providing it received mention in the page footer used by the forums.
121 That was done with Off the Wall being entirely visible to the public,
122 and thus to those making the offer. That hardware is used to host other
123 things beyond the forums, which do not carry the credit to the host. The
124 obvious inference is that the provider of that hosting considers the
125 credit on the forums to have sufficient value to support not only the
126 forums but other services as well, without being put off by Off the
127 Wall. In short, yes, to both of your questions.
128
129 > Maybe our donors are objective too, but I doubt they would be happy with
130 > such a situation.
131 >
132 Funny, they seemed happy to make the offer to host the forums in the
133 first place.
134
135 >> * large parts of the content are toxic and not something I (and others) wish
136 >>> Gentoo to be associated with
137 >
138 > <snip>
139 >
140 > The argument from our "elected" official is very valid. Isn't that what
141 > he is there for? He has to be subjective, but he has also publically
142 > stated on many mediums *why* OTW is bad for us. Additionally, many
143 > others agree.
144 >
145 Setting aside various the other assertions, are you seriously arguing
146 that people are elected for the express purpose that they are to then
147 act irrationally?
148
149 > Policies are great, but you cannot legislate common sense (which IMHO is
150 > where subjectiveness plays a role). Attempting to delineate every
151 > possible scenario of things we deem "not OK" is asinine. This is what
152 > the CoC is for and why we have an elected council to interpret
153 > it/enforce it (along with COMREL).
154 >
155 > This brings up a larger point. I am sure there are many developers who
156 > would argue with COMREL and/or the Council regarding their
157 > subjectiveness to forcibly retire them. Should we do away with the
158 > council too? It's a slippery slope toward objectiveness.
159 >
160 Frankly, you are making a fine argument for dissolving, at least this
161 instance of, the council. Abusing policies, to the point of breaking
162 them, for purely subjective reasons. Ignoring established processes in
163 pursuit of a personal goals which have little (if any) logical basis.
164 Having a plurality of members openly acting in bad faith, an outright
165 majority if comments made outside of the discussions here and on core
166 are to be considered. Repeated violations of the very policy which they
167 claim to be acting in support of. Given the pattern of behavior, not
168 dissolving this council could well be considered irresponsible.
169
170 >>> * it caters to a set of users somewhat distinct from the rest of the forums
171 >>> (e.g., >5000 posts in OTW, <100 elsewhere)
172 >>>
173 >>
174 >> According to what data?
175 >>
176 >> Looking at the past year:
177 >> select COUNT(*) as cnt, IF(phpbb_posts.forum_id=10,true, false) as forum,
178 >> phpbb_users.user_id as user from phpbb_users INNER JOIN phpbb_posts ON
179 >> phpbb_posts.poster_id=phpbb_users.user_id where phpbb_posts.post_time >
180 >> UNIX_TIMESTAMP(DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 365 DAY)) and
181 >> phpbb_posts.poster_id IN (select DISTINCT(poster_id) from phpbb_posts where
182 >
183 > <snip>
184 >
185 > Cool data. The problem is the *why*. None of this content, regardless of
186 > who/what/where/when is relevant to us as a distro.
187 >
188 Nor is a fair portion of traffic in other Gentoo affiliated
189 communications media, while Off the Wall provides a very clearly
190 delineated space where that discussion does belong instead of simply
191 chalking up off topic discussion to being part of cost of having on
192 topic discussions.
193
194 With Off the Wall, we can move things that are off topic out of the way
195 of things that are on topic, without Off the Wall we would need to
196 invest more time and effort into deciding whether something tangentially
197 related is close enough to stay. Which, incidentally, is a subjective
198 decision which is open to disagreement and debate which would itself
199 consume still more volunteered time. In any scenario where there are
200 rules being enforced, edge cases consume more resources to consider and
201 act upon. Not to mention that telling people that there is some fuzzy
202 line which they cannot cross is often taken as an invitation to prod the
203 boundaries of that line and complain when subjective decisions could be
204 interpreted to not perfectly agree with one another over time. Fostering
205 disorder in the name of fostering order is rather counterproductive.
206
207 > <snip>
208 >
209 >> sailed after repeated failed attempts at gaining that support.
212 > So, like, what is your counter proposal or proposal here? You seem to be
213 > playing a "devils advocate", but have very strong opinions on why Andreas is
214 > wrong in his approach.
215 >
216 > So, what would Alec do?
217 >