From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2012-04-03
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:02:46
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:09:10AM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> [...]
No point in jumping the gun. Frankly considering the issues of the various proposals haven't really been fully fleshed out up until that wiki page (prior, they were at best in PM authors heads), and that's not counting the level of misunderstandings people had about it (and likely still do). I'd rather see people properly consider it rather than try to fit it into a single council meeting.
> > IMO we don't have to waste a (part of a) meeting on deciding if we > > want to address the issue at all. We (council) should just reach > > that conclusion here on-list, so we can prepare for the actual votes > > in actual council meeting. > > Or the option of keeping the status quo could be one of the > alternatives of the vote. It would be six alternatives then. > > I can prepare a Condorcet (Schulze method) vote, just for the case > that we don't get an absolute majority for one of them.
Condorcet should be dev wide imo, rather than council. I'm certainly not of the belief we should do group wide votes on every decision, but this sort of thing is likely to generally piss people off and not have any clear majority on its own- thus would go that route. More importantly, while PM authors have a definite say from a technical standpoint (that metadata.xml proposal for example has nasty implications for performance/cache), it's devs who are going to feel the impact of it the most in their workflow. They're views matter fairly heavily (as long as it's not a technical nightmare of course). ~brian