From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2012-04-03
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:02:46
1 On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:09:10AM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 20-03-2012 22:34:14 +0100, Pacho Ramos wrote:
5 > >> From my point of view, both decisions could be made at the same meeting:
6 > >> 1? Should we discuss it? -> Yes -> go to 2? // No -> end
7 > >> 2? Discuss alternatives
8 >
9 > Actually, my plan was not only to discuss 2?, but to vote on it in the
10 > same meeting.
11
12 No point in jumping the gun. Frankly considering the issues of the
13 various proposals haven't really been fully fleshed out up until that
14 wiki page (prior, they were at best in PM authors heads), and
15 that's not counting the level of misunderstandings people had
16 about it (and likely still do). I'd rather see people properly
17 consider it rather than try to fit it into a single council meeting.
20 > > IMO we don't have to waste a (part of a) meeting on deciding if we
21 > > want to address the issue at all. We (council) should just reach
22 > > that conclusion here on-list, so we can prepare for the actual votes
23 > > in actual council meeting.
24 >
25 > Or the option of keeping the status quo could be one of the
26 > alternatives of the vote. It would be six alternatives then.
27 >
28 > I can prepare a Condorcet (Schulze method) vote, just for the case
29 > that we don't get an absolute majority for one of them.
30
31 Condorcet should be dev wide imo, rather than council. I'm certainly
32 not of the belief we should do group wide votes on every decision, but
33 this sort of thing is likely to generally piss people off and not have
34 any clear majority on its own- thus would go that route.
35
36 More importantly, while PM authors have a definite say from a
37 technical standpoint (that metadata.xml proposal for example has nasty
38 implications for performance/cache), it's devs who are going to feel
39 the impact of it the most in their workflow. They're views matter
40 fairly heavily (as long as it's not a technical nightmare of course).
41
42 ~brian