From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 20:24:20
1 Am Donnerstag 29 August 2013, 20:33:01 schrieb Tom Wijsman:
4 > Then we have the major arches ppc, amd64, x86, arm; yup, seems right.
5 > The difference between ppc, amd64 and x86 seems quite small even.
8 As the voice from history... this is the case mainly since Ago joined PPC.
9 Before that, PPC was known to be lagging badly. (My impression, no hard data
10 to back it up.)
13 > Vote 1: Do we drop stable keywords for m68k, sh and s390?
14 >
15 > Rationality: These fall under the original reasoning of this thread.
16 >
17 > Vote 2: Do we drop stable keywords for alpha, ia64, ppc64 and sparc?
18 >
19 > Rationality: Do we (as Gentoo) want to focus on more major arches in a
20 > way that we don't have minor arches block them? What do we want to
21 > pursue? Broader support? Or rather making just the major arches perfect?
24 Whenever this is discussed, we should probably take two things into account:
25
26 1) Is an arch "waxing or waning", meaning is the hardware still produced, and
27 is the market share growing, stable, or deteriorating?
28
29 2) Is the hardware decently fast for compiling? I.e. are users likely to be
30 interested in running Gentoo? (If I need a week to rebuild gcc...)
31
32 Cheers, A
35 Andreas K. Huettel
36 Gentoo Linux developer