From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Libera migration summary
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 11:58:05
1 I initially started this discussion on -core but it was felt we should discuss this on -project too.
2
3 > Begin forwarded message:
4 >
5 > From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
6 > Subject: [gentoo-core] Libera migration summary
7 > Date: 22 May 2021 at 02:24:33 BST
8 > To: gentoo-core@l.g.o
9 > Cc: council@g.o
10 >
11 > Hi,
12 >
13 > I’m going to try keep this brief, but I feel quite strongly that delay is problematic wrt choosing Gentoo's future IRC home. I think it's hurting our community given we have a particularly strong IRC presence, which has recently become sparsely inhabited.
14 >
15 > I'm partly asking fellow developers to trust me and the general belief of Gentoo's groupcontacts team. I personally have strong roots in IRC -- I've seen some of the goings-on behind the scenes recently, and I trust the calls made by the ex-freenode staff in founding Libera.
16 >
17 > Reasons for migration to Libera:
18 > 1) Libera is the continuity choice. irc.freenode.net has no relationship with the previous freenode of the last 15 years other than the domain name
19 > and some sponsored servers.
20 > (Libera is already building up sponsorship and servers - it is not, as was alluded to on another thread, purely cloud/their own infrastructure.)
21 >
22 > 2) We have a strong working relationship with the staff at Libera.
23 >
24 > For example, they immediately reserved our namespace (this means #gentoo-*) to prevent any hostile takeovers while we make decisions.
25 >
26 > 3) The vast majority of developers are not involved in IRC administration or indeed the migration efforts and may not be aware of the
27 > actual issues involved with coordinating with a new team. We are working with exactly the same people on Libera who understand
28 > what we require and have been working with us tirelessly to setup new cloaks, channels, and other special arrangements.
29 >
30 > 4) Compare this with the current state of #gentoo-groupcontacts on Freenode which has 0 staff members. If we wanted to add/remove a new
31 > developer, or handle any other issues, there is simply nobody available to speak to.
32 >
33 > 5) Freenode is currently experiencing high turnover of new IRC operators/administrators, some of which have dubious connections to Rizon and other controversial
34 > IRC networks. It’s clear that, even if they are skilled individuals, they haven’t been trained on the current way of working at Freenode given they’re
35 > not in any of the usual mediums we use to handle *projects*.
36 >
37 > (The two previous points are linked to the large spamwaves with nobody competent able to handle them on a network level.)
38 >
39 > Reasons against delay:
40 > 1) freenode has lost the trust of plenty of users and so we’re already introducing a cost for people who want to continue chatting on freenode to access Gentoo channels.
41 > 2) #gentoo is currently rather barren as opposed to the wall of support activity we're used to.
42 > 3) Inter-developer communication is suffering too. #gentoo-dev is quiet as are other project channels as the cost of “keeping up” with activity
43 > increases.
44 > 4) We’re not the only project to be moving. We’re far from being the first large FOSS project to move. This means that *if*, in the unlikely event this is the wrong decision, we’re in very good company. We’re joined by Ubuntu and CentOS for a start.
45 > 5) Large swathes of spambots continue to flood freenode given there's a vacuum left by the lack of administration.
46 >
47 > Reasons against OFTC *for now*:
48 > 1) Lack of developer/project cloaks (but dwfreed has indicated it’s _possible_ this can change in future)
49 >
50 > 2) Outdated/unconventional services and IRC daemon. This includes lack of SASL support and unusual/missing features in e.g. ChanServ.
51 > This is the general opinion in the “IRC community” too. Note that OFTC staff are trying to improve this but it will take time.
52 >
53 > ----
54 >
55 > Personally, I admire that OFTC had a solid governance structure long before this current freenode drama, and in the long run, I’d love to actually have Gentoo there for the sake of decentralisation (and I've always had a bit of a softspot for it). But even OFTC themselves accept that they’re not the continuity candidate in terms of migration from freenode right now (both tomaw and dwfreed said as much).
56 >
57 > All of that said: if, in the future (or now), the community decides to move to OFTC, I'm very happy to facilitate that. But I'd really encourage _some_ decision is made, even if it's not the one I'm hoping for (Libera). If it's OFTC, I'll sit here and do the grunt work with the rest of our fabulous groupcontacts.
58 >
59 > I’d like to request an emergency council meeting to discuss and vote on the matter as soon as possible. This would ideally be later tomorrow (Sunday, 23rd May).
60 > Begin forwarded message:
61 >
62 > From: Georgy Yakovlev <gyakovlev@g.o>
63 > Subject: [gentoo-core] Re: Libera migration summary
64 > Date: 22 May 2021 at 02:35:16 BST
65 > To: Sam James <sam@g.o>
66 > Cc: gentoo-core@l.g.o, council@g.o
67 >