From: "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <klondike@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] pre-GLEP: Gentoo Developer status
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 11:45:13
1 Hi Michał!
2
3 El 14/04/18 a las 09:24, Michał Górny escribió:
4 > W dniu pią, 13.04.2018 o godzinie 23∶28 +0200, użytkownik Francisco Blas
5 > Izquierdo Riera (klondike) napisał:
6 >> Hi Michał,
7 >>
8 >> Taking into account that the letter and not the spirit of GLEP 39 is
9 >> usually thrown around as a weapon ("INFORMATIVE", HAH!). I strongly
10 >> disrecommend having more "informative" policies.
11 >>
12 >> Not to say that whether you like it or not, not all non ebuild related
13 >> developer work is necessarily tied to a project. Even GLEP 39 mentions
14 >> this: "Not everything (or everyone) needs a project."
15 > If you have a good example of a developer contributing to Gentoo without
16 > having commit access and without being tied to a project, I'm all ears.
17
18 Here are some randomly picked tasks that don't require belonguing to a
19 project:
20 * Keeping the documentation on the wiki up to date and clear.
21 * Writting new, relevant documentation.
22 * Helping address users concerns over one of our official channels
23 (forums, gentoo-user mailing list, IRC, etc.).
24 * Helping users provide relevant information on bug reports.
25
26 All those are tasks making a very significant contribution to Gentoo.
27 All of those are tasks that don't require being a member of any project
28 to be performed, just having the relevant experience and skills.
29 So here is my proof. Where is yours?
30
31 Also why have to be the project leads the one determining the activity
32 non ebuild developers do? After all GLEP39 clearly states too: " Instead
33 the practical responsibility of a lead is "whatever the members
34 require", and if that isn't satisfied, the members can get a new lead
35 (if they can find somebody to take the job!)." Which doesn't names
36 "determining the activity non ebuild developers do". Or maybe could it
37 be that you are planning to force project leads to define those
38 activites in which case you should modify ALSO GLEP 39.
39
40 >> As a closing note, I'm really getting tired of all this "Either you
41 >> write ebuilds or you are a piece of shit" philosophy that is running on
42 >> the ambient nowadays. If such people want a developer centric source
43 >> based distro, who gives shit about the non developers I strongly
44 >> recommend trying Exherbo instead.
45 >>
46 > This is highly inappropriate, especially given that you are a public
47 > representative of Gentoo.
48
49 If you want to play the "you more" game I strongly recommend you read
50 Matthew 7:5.
51
52 > The GLEP *explicitly* defines that there are
53 > both ebuild and non-ebuild contributions, so whatever you're making up,
54 > it's irrelevant to the topic at hand.
55
56 The GLEP defines different requirements for those two sets of peoples
57 with the second set having harsher constraints (i.e. not having the
58 possibility of having their contributions not being filtered by a third
59 party). This second group happens to be "non-ebuild contributors". So
60 maybe, instead of trying to insult me a "non-ebuild contributor" you
61 could consider looking at the moon instead of the finger.
62
63 Klondike