From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation membership and who can join
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 14:16:51
1 On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 7:13 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 14/10/16 10:04 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
4 > > On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 6:55 AM, Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o
5 > > <mailto:axs@g.o>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > On 14/10/16 09:46 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
8 > > > On Fri, Oct 14, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Raymond Jennings <
9 > shentino@×××××.com <mailto:shentino@×××××.com>> wrote:
10 > > >> That's why I made my own proposal.
11 > > >>
12 > > >> class supporter
13 > > >
14 > > > If you change supporter to always be a foundation member (ie make
15 > > > membership activation/removal simultaneous with instantiation) it
16 > > > could work. However, I still question the need for a 3rd tier.
17 > >
18 > > My C++ is a little rusty but if I'm reading it right, all the
19 > > 'supporter' class does is provide a container of inheritance that (a)
20 > > allows you to revoke everything when someone stops being a supporter
21 > > (or stops agreeing to the COC), and (b) allows the separation of
22 > > foundation-member from the dev and staff classes. It also seems to
23 > > allow there to be foundation members that are neither staff nor
24 > dev's.
27 > > Exactly.
28 > >
29 > > So it's not a class that would be instantiated in and of itself I
30 > > don't think.
33 > > It is an abstract virtual base class...virtual because we could well
34 > > have supporters who are staff AND dev, but we'd only need to check
35 > > their supporter credietnails (coc compliance etc) once.
39 > AND, the important bit, separates foundation membership from both
40 > classes; right?
43 yes. foundation membership in my illustration is intended to be separate
44 froms taff and dev roles...but if you screw up as a supporter, you blow all
45 three.