From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 04:13:39
1 On 09/30/2016 05:59 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > [snip]
3 >
4 > 1. When information is turned over to comrel who does it get shared
5 > with, and under what circumstances?
6
7 That information should be kept mainly to the comrel member(s) who were
8 reported to. Should the issue become more serious, share it with the
9 rest of comrel according to case needs (one member having a friendship
10 with a given developer, or a professional background in community
11 management, etc).
12
13 > 2. Do any members of the community have an obligation to report? Can
14 > members of comrel/trustees/officers/council/etc be told information in
15 > private without it being shared back with comrel for the official
16 > record?
17
18 An obligation to report will result in more reporting, some of which
19 will end up being within CoC limits or merely a misunderstanding.
20 Encouragement might not be a bad idea, but forcing them to is just an
21 easy way to make ComRel busy; I'm sure they're just as understaffed as
22 the rest of Gentoo, however.
23
24 > 3. Specifically, what information gets shared with people named in a
25 > dispute of some kind?
26
27 It depends on the type of dispute. If it's happenstance in a public
28 medium such as the forums, bugzilla, or the ML, then the antagonists and
29 their actions are known and can be shared freely.
30
31 In short I think the privacy level of a dispute should never become
32 lower than the occurrence of the "crime". So if it was in PMs on IRC, it
33 now concerns the ComRel member who was contacted, Party A, and Party B.
34 It should only expand when one ComRel member isn't enough.
35
36 Impactful changes to Gentoo staffing are deserving of mention, but in
37 general terms, like "Foobar project no longer has a lead, election
38 scheduled for..."
39
40 > 4. Under what circumstances will information be shared with a
41 > government authority/etc?
42
43 It's not written anywhere, but I think we owe it to our developers to
44 keep private information private. Without a sufficient reasoning and/or
45 legal force, imo Gentoo should not comply without overwhelming evidence
46 or legitimate legal threat to its incorporation status. We should treat
47 private and internal information like it's valuable and important,
48 because it is. If developers can't share information with the Foundation
49 and/or other developers and expect it to remain at least somewhat safe,
50 then it may lower morale within the Project.
51
52 > 5. Do subjects of comrel action generally have a "right to face their
53 > accuser?"
54
55 If the action is impacting their developer status or public/internal
56 image, I believe the accuser should be willing to attach their name to
57 their accusations.
58
59 > 6. What should be communicated about comrel actions, both proactively
60 > and when people inquire about them?
61
62 Proactive announcements only necessary when they impact the functioning
63 of Gentoo and have reason to be made public. Inquiries are a little
64 trickier, as we should strive for transparency internally, but keep
65 sensitive things from the general public.
68 > I think there are a number of pros and cons to any approach we take,
69 > and it is possible for reasonable people to hold a different opinion
70 > on this topic.
71 >
72 > [snip]
73 >
74 > So, whether you think this is great or the worst drivel you've ever
75 > read, please do speak up...
76 >
77 > --
78 > Rich
81 I was wondering who would get around to writing something like this up
82 ever since that conversation about it a while back. :)
85 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
86 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
87 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6