From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Comrel Improvements: Expectations of Privacy
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 00:59:18
1 General Background
2 This is the first in a series of threads I plan to start, each around
3 some aspect of our Comrel process. If you have a concern that isn't
4 covered in this post please start a separate thread, and I do intend
5 to start others. This isn't intended to suggest that this is the ONLY
6 issue that is worth discussion about Comrel. I just expect there to
7 be potentially a large amount of interest in the topic and I think
8 we're better served if things are divided into somewhat-separable
9 topics.
10
11 In these emails I'm speaking purely on my own behalf, and not for the
12 Council/Foundation/etc. I know these bodies have an interest in these
13 topics and may very well offer official input at some time. I really
14 just want to foster open discussion so that we can air opinions before
15 we actually get to setting/changing policy.
18 The Issue
19 Recently there has been some questioning of whether we have the right
20 balance of privacy in Comrel disputes. Some specific questions to be
21 addressed are:
22
23 1. When information is turned over to comrel who does it get shared
24 with, and under what circumstances?
25 2. Do any members of the community have an obligation to report? Can
26 members of comrel/trustees/officers/council/etc be told information in
27 private without it being shared back with comrel for the official
28 record?
29 3. Specifically, what information gets shared with people named in a
30 dispute of some kind?
31 4. Under what circumstances will information be shared with a
32 government authority/etc?
33 5. Do subjects of comrel action generally have a "right to face their
34 accuser?"
35 6. What should be communicated about comrel actions, both proactively
36 and when people inquire about them?
37
38 I think there are a number of pros and cons to any approach we take,
39 and it is possible for reasonable people to hold a different opinion
40 on this topic.
43 The Current State
44 As best as I understand it (and corrections are welcome), this is how
45 things work today (I'm just trying to stick to the facts in this
46 section):
47
48 Nobody in Gentoo has an obligation to raise issues to Comrel. If
49 somebody privately tells me that they're having a problem with
50 somebody, I can offer advice/etc, or advise them to go to Comrel, but
51 I'm not obligated to do so.
52
53 If somebody does go to Comrel, what they say is generally kept
54 confidential from anybody not in Comrel. So, if I were to complain to
55 Comrel that ulm has been voting against too many of my Council
56 proposals, Comrel might or might not even tell ulm that there was a
57 complaint, and if they did they wouldn't tell him that I made the
58 complaint or provide any exact copies of the complaint.
59
60 If somebody appeals a Comrel decision to the Council, then all
61 information that Comrel has on the case is made available to the
62 Council.
63
64 After a case is concluded, information is maintained indefinitely, and
65 available to some members of Comrel. It might be shared with all of
66 Comrel if another case comes up.
67
68 While this has not happened within my knowledge, I imagine that if a
69 lawsuit came up or a threat of one, any relevant information would be
70 shared with the Trustees and anybody they designate. There isn't any
71 proactive monitoring by the Foundation.
72
73 In general Comrel actions are kept confidential. A general member of
74 the community (developer or otherwise) typically doesn't find out that
75 there even has been a dispute, let alone the results of one. However,
76 I know there have been exceptions, including a recent one on -core.
77 When significant actions like forced retirement occur non-devs on
78 impacted teams may not be informed, though if they make specific
79 inquiries a fairly minimal statement might be given.
82 Discussion
83 Here I'll offer my own opinions, though many are not strongly held. I
84 really want to foster discussion around the pros/cons as I don't think
85 that the answers to the questions I framed are necessarily completely
86 obvious.
87
88 I'll start with what I see as the largest controversy: the right of
89 the accused to face their accuser. In almost all courts this is a
90 fairly universal right. In private companies/organizations it tends
91 to be much less so. The main benefit of keeping complaints
92 anonymous/private is that people will feel more free to come forward
93 with complaints without fear of retaliation. The obvious downside is
94 that the accused feels the process is unfair since it is a black box
95 to them, and they may be less receptive to the legitimacy of concerns,
96 and indeed the anonymity might result in false claims since they're
97 harder to refute.
98
99 I suspect private organizations also tend to keep this stuff
100 confidential because it makes them harder to sue, and that concern
101 does apply to Gentoo to some degree.
102
103 Next, mandatory reporting: I think we ought to give serious
104 consideration to it for a couple of reasons. Companies often have
105 mandatory reporting, for example if somebody were to copy me on an
106 email that violates company policy around something like sexual
107 content, I could be fired merely for having been sent it but not
108 reporting it to HR, because I have people who report to me. For
109 positions like Trustees/Officers of the Foundation I suspect that if
110 they're aware of a potential situation where Gentoo has some
111 liability, they would have a fiduciary duty to act on it. That may or
112 may not apply to Council members as well. There is another reason why
113 mandatory reporting might make sense: it avoids putting people in
114 leadership situations in a tricky situation where they feel like they
115 have to both keep something confidential and try to deal with a
116 serious problem solo, because they feel like it would be wrong to
117 ignore it. With a mandatory reporting policy then people know
118 up-front that leaders are basically an extension of Comrel, and then
119 once the situation is handed off to Comrel the person it was disclosed
120 to can safely step away and let Comrel do its job.
121
122 Finally, when it comes to communicating outcomes of comrel actions, I
123 suggest keeping the distribution minimal. If somebody is forced to
124 retire from a leadership role, then those who were a part of their
125 team probably should know. If somebody is forced to retire from a
126 team then the team lead should be told. I don't really see a ton of
127 value in communicating comrel actions widely in general. The problem
128 with communicating things widely is that it makes it harder for the
129 person subject to the action to re-integrate themselves into the
130 community once any actions expire. Also, there is less risk of
131 liability for defamation/etc if nothing is publicly communicated. At
132 my own workplace there is really no distinction between somebody being
133 fired and leaving of their own accord as far as announcements to
134 coworkers and such are concerned. Indeed, there is also usually
135 little distinction between being fired for cause or because you simply
136 are no longer needed when it comes to communication with the person
137 being separated either.
138
139 I'll go ahead and wind this down here as it already feels a lot longer
140 than I intended (perhaps the topic was still too broad, though I see
141 these items as being fairly related). Again, the goal here is to spur
142 discussion and end up with policies that there is some kind of
143 community backing for, whether they end up being the status quo or
144 otherwise. Ultimately whatever is decided upon should be documented
145 so that when somebody contacts Comrel they know up-front what will be
146 done with any information they provide, and so on.
147
148 So, whether you think this is great or the worst drivel you've ever
149 read, please do speak up...
152 Rich
156 Rich