From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
Cc: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>, gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 09:47:19
1 >>>>> On Sat, 26 Jan 2019, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2
3 > No, the impact is considerable. As I pointed out in the previous
4 > discussion[1], it will require a deblobbed kernel among other things,
5 > a different approach to handling sourceless binaries under a free
6 > license (ulm suggested a no-source-code tag), and no small effort in
7 > educating users.
8
9 This particular point has been addressed in the meantime. We have a
10 "no-source-code" license label which can be used alongside (e.g.) BSD
11 for binary-only packages.
12
13 > That said, I'm all for it. Gentoo should make users acknowledge when
14 > they install proprietary software.
15
16 > [1]
17 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/d2196de6a6c8285bfa9c1b789ef88dae