From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council / Git Migration Agenda
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 11:09:36
1 On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 7:00 AM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 10/07/14 06:58, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Can we do that without requiring the git replace stuff? E.g. have
7 >>> dev.git be a shallow clone of a joined-history.git?
8 >>>
9 >> That was the original plan I suggested abandoning in my email, for the
10 >> reasons stated in my email. None of them had to do with repository
11 >> size, actually, though having a repository with an obsolete 1.5GB
12 >> history embedded certainly isn't ideal.
15 > What does a shallow clone mean exactly?
18 It means a git repository that does not contain the full history.
19 That is, if you take one of the heads, such as master, and follow the
20 parent commits back, you eventually reach a commit that isn't actually
21 in the repository. Git now has a --depth option to allow making them
22 easily in a clone operation.
23
24 Not all operations may work on them, but I've found conflicting
25 stories online about what is/isn't possible. Generally you would
26 probably want full clones in all the official repositories to avoid
27 issues.
30 Rich