From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Trying to become a Gentoo Developer again spanning 8 years...
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 22:03:11
1 On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 12:33:27 AM EDT Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 >
3 > As I see it from the log above, jlec was nice to you and tried to
4 > help you to return: recommended you to contribute via other means
5 > for a while until devs will be confident that you are nice to
6 > others. And you abused him right away :(
7
8 I was being asking for what I had already done. If anyone had taken any time
9 to talk to my mentor, or look at commits( git shortlog -sn | grep wlt ), or
10 PRs, or bugs, or documentation. It would be easy to see what they were asking.
11 I had been working as I have off and on over the years. But considerably since
12 2015.
13
14 They were abusing me. They were wanting to see more of what already existed.
15 Given what all I had done, and their further request. It seemed no amount
16 would suffice. Given I was already more active than some members of comrel with
17 regard to commits in tree....
18
19 Also it was NOT jlec requesting that if you see the log. He did that because
20 others MADE him. Jlec was about to schedule a time to do quiz review when
21 others brought up the past and put the requirement of "show me the work".
22 Which the work already existed...
23
24 If you take my overlay into account, considerable work that there was not
25 anyone to proxy or commit to tree...
26
27 > This caught my attention because jlec was my recruiter as well and
28 > I well remember how tactful, helpful and nice he was at this job.
29 > And abusing him was rather unfair.
30
31 I have already emailed him personally and there was never any issues. What you
32 saw was ~7yrs of frustration. I was really close to returning, quiz review
33 with Jlec. Then others got involved and mess that all up.
34
35 Since his name was coming up. I took the time to email him personally and let
36 him know it was nothing personal to him. He was short on time, but his initial
37 response seemed as if he understood that.
38
39 There is no issue between jlec and myself then or now. Jlec has thick skin and
40 it was others causing the problems. He just got caught up in all that and I
41 have apologized to him directly.
42
43 > I hope that you changed since that conversation, but IMHO you
44 > should prove that for community. The simplest way is to work on
45 > technical stuff and doesn't engage in everything else for a while.
46
47 Not really. If you are not seeking to help out, and get in the way of work
48 being done and progress. Then no I will not have changed and just get worse.
49
50 These problems are big, serious, and getting worse daily. Gentoo can survive
51 without Java per se. Gentoo cannot survive things like the IRS.... Not without
52 major controversy.
53
54 I can only imagine others that might have been driven away and other areas
55 Gentoo maybe suffering in, As a whole none is good for the project.
59 William L. Thomson Jr.