From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Council meeting 2015-04-14: call for agenda items
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 23:09:18
1 On 04/06/15 06:54, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 5:27 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> 2. Otherwise allow developers to drop stable keywords from affected
5 >> package and _all_ its reverse dependencies. This way a part of
6 >> stable tree will be removed, but only a part. With this approach
7 >> arch teams will be freed of an extra burden, while they will be
8 >> still able to maintain a smaller stable tree.
9 >>
10 >> This is a win-win solution: a stable tree will be still kept in a
11 >> maintainable size and developers will not have a long-term blockers
12 >> on their stabilization requests.
13 >>
14 >> 3. And last but not the least: apply the rules above to all arches,
15 >> not just minor teams (though probability that amd64/x86 will be
16 >> slow is lower, of course).
19 > This was some of what I was getting at. My question still stands that
20 > I'm not sure arch teams REALLY want 300 packages to have their stable
21 > keywords removed instead of just having one package break the
22 > depgraph. When we move to git then this won't be as big a deal, as
23 > they could easily undo all the keywords in the same commit that fixes
24 > the original STABLEREQ.
25
26 I strongly prefer removing stable keywords of all reverse dependencies
27 over random 'transient' breakage that won't be fixed in a reasonable
28 timeframe (we're starting from the assumption that the relevant arch
29 team didn't respond in *months* ...)
30
31 How git is relevant I don't really see, you'd still have to re-test all
32 involved packages, so the effort is mostly in testing and not in running
33 ekeyword in a loop.
34
35 Have fun,
36