From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Council meeting 2015-04-14: call for agenda items
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 00:47:58
1 On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 7:05 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > How git is relevant I don't really see, you'd still have to re-test all
4 > involved packages, so the effort is mostly in testing and not in running
5 > ekeyword in a loop.
8 If you removed stable keywords from 300 packages, they would be in a
9 single git commit. That means you can restore those keywords in a
10 single command once you've checked that the new library can be made
11 stable. The benefit of git is that tree-wide operations are atomic.
12
13 Generally speaking arch teams do not test EVERY reverse dependency of
14 a library with the stable branch before stabilizing it. Certainly
15 arch teams that can't even keep up with stable requests will not do
16 so.
17
18 I'm not saying I'm in favor of breaking the stable depgraph. I just
19 think that we need to think through the effects of removing hundreds
20 of keywords on users (as bircoph points out in his reply). Neither
21 option is terribly great.
24 Rich