From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: comrel changes
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 18:57:41
1 On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 10:54 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Agreed, this is very demoralizing. Besides your suggestion of requiring
3 > bugs to be filed, I would consider a hard timeout of 7-14 days when a
4 > bug is filed. Once that timeout passes with no action from comrel, the
5 > bug goes to the council. If this happens too many times (we could
6 > discuss/agree on a number) it brings the affectiveness of comrel into
7 > question and the council can take action such as replacing the lead.
8
9 This is not that simple. While I'm not on ComRel, I can imagine
10 the problems they need to face.
11
12 Let's say someone files ComRel request with some data. Before ComRel
13 can take any action, it probably needs to gather more data, to verify
14 what it has, to talk to other side. Now imagine that the other side
15 might be away, have little time, or simply be stalling. Not to mention
16 discussion and voting lag after collecting all this.
17
18 I don't think it's feasible for all this to happen within 14 days,
19 even 30 days may be too short in some cases. If you force hard timeouts
20 down ComRel's throat, you're going to either cause ComRel to issue
21 premature decisions or cause issues to repeatedly move to the Council.
22
23 To give a real example, it took me almost a month to communicate with
24 a certain developer before opening a ComRel case against him. After two
25 weeks, he requested more time to reply. So far the bug is open for over
26 a month waiting for the reply from the other side. Do you believe
27 ComRel should be forced to make a decision earlier and say 'sorry, we
28 can't wait for you'?
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny