From: Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetromino@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-09-13
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 23:45:04
1 On Wed, 2015-09-09 at 15:05 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > While I don't know that we'll get to a vote, I think that the whole
3 > qt4/5, gtk2/3, etc USE flag matter could really use some
4 > standardization.
5 >
6 > My personal sense of the best ideas of the thread would be to have a
7 > proposal like this:
8 >
9 > Have a generic GUI USE flag which should be used where appropriate.
10 > I'm hesitant to just suggest using X11 for this since Wayland is on
11 > its way. Maintainers should use this flag if all they're doing is
12 > enabling/disabling any GUI, regardless of how it was implemented.
13 > Profiles and users are encouraged to manipulate this flag globally as
14 > appropriate. This is considered a completely safe flag that is free
15 > from surprises, though obviously disabling it will mean lots of
16 > console-only applications. Packages should not IUSE this if they
17 > exclusively do or don't support a GUI (ie installing USE=-gui xeyes
18 > shouldn't just install a bunch of doc files).
19 >
20 > An unversioned gtk/qt/etc flag may be used if appropriate if users may
21 > wish to enable specific GUIs. This should be about picking a specific
22 > implementation, and not about turning the GUI itself on or off. In
23 > general this should not be put in profiles, but it might be
24 > appropriate in a very specific profile such as a gnome or kde profile.
25 > Users should use care in setting this globally, but it might be
26 > appropriate for enviornments where you want more control over the
27 > toolkits that are in use, such as embedded.
28 >
29 > Versioned gtk/qt/etc flags may be used to control specific toolkit
30 > versions, when a package supports more than one. The default should
31 > be whatever is most appropriate. Users and profiles should almost
32 > never be setting these. They shouldn't be used if only one version is
33 > supported. If users set these globally they should expect things to
34 > break. In fact, I'm not entirely opposed to sticking package names in
35 > the flags to make them truly local (like chromium-gtk3 to use an
36 > example from another thread), but I think it is still better to just
37 > have the name be uniform and expect users to not shoot themselves in
38 > the feet (and we can document flag description appropriately).
39
40 +1 from me. For applications, a generic gui flag would resolve my main
41 concerns about versioned toolkit flags.
42
43 However, for libraries, I believe that slotting (as long as the
44 particular library's build system and .so naming convention allows it)
45 is often better than flags due to lower build time: to change the set
46 of enabled toolkits, you don't need to rebuild all of the library's
47 binaries N times, once for each of N enabled toolkits. Which is
48 especially important for libraries with long compile times.
49
50 Basically, I want to make sure that the council won't force the gnome
51 team to combine webkit-gtk:2 and :3 into one slot :)