From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] How do you feel about non-contributing developers with commit access?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 23:22:16
1 On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 11:05 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > The Undertakers team has frequently received various forms of
6 > 'criticism' of their effort in attempting to find and retire inactive
7 > developers. This is getting as far as to claim that we shouldn't retire
8 > anyone because there are no limits on commit slots.
11 So I think the problems are not about commit slots (I think that is a poor
12 way to think about it.) I think the problems we have seen are around
13 developers who lose interest in various areas of the tree.
14
15 - Herds / Projects that list N people, but really only have 1-2 active
16 developers. Sometimes the herd / project has no active developers.
17 - Metadata.xml that lists N people, but really only have 1-2 active
18 maintainers. Sometimes the package has no active developers.
19
20 The result of the above are essentially:
21 - Work on a given area of the tree has to wait some time while the
22 existing (inactive) maintainer is pinged.
23 - A given area of the tree may look well covered (e.g. package has many
24 maintainers listed) when in fact this is untrue and none of the maintainers
25 are active. This leads to developers possibly ignoring that portion of the
26 tree.
27
28 To me, retiring 'inactive' developers is really done to address these
29 issues. If inactive developers are removed from maintainer lists from time
30 to time, we get a better signal on what packages are actively maintained,
31 vs packages that need more support.
32
33 I don't have any particular problem with people who maintain only a few
34 packages; they may not commit often but as long as they care for the
35 packages assigned to them I think they still bring value. The trick is
36 differentiating between these people and inactive people. This is one
37 reason why we always email people; there is an expectation that active
38 developers respond to email and inactive developers do not. It seems to
39 have served us well thus far.
43 > Therefore, I would like to ask the wider community a general question:
44 > how do you feel about preserving commit access for people who no longer
45 > actively commit to Gentoo? I'm talking about extreme cases, say,
46 > no commits to any user-visible repository for over a year.
49 > --
50 > Best regards,
51 > Michał Górny