From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Questions for Candidates (was: Questioning/Interviewing council nominees)
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 09:33:24
1 William Hubbs schrieb:
2 > Chithanh, please stop me and correct me if I am wrong.
3 >
4 > The way I understand what you are saying is that you believe the
5 > maintainers have absolute authority over what happens with their
6 > packages. So if I file a bug against a package requesting a change that
7 > I think would bring the package more in line with the gentoo philosophy for
8 > example and explain to the maintainer why I think that is the case and
9 > He closes my bug invalid or wontfix, you feel that I should not take my
10 > concerns to qa or the council. correct?
11
12 If you can demonstrate that the package is in violation of policy, or
13 there is an immediate danger to users' Gentoo installations, then of
14 course you can expect QA or the council to step up and make the
15 necessary changes.
16
17 If however there is no policy which mandates such a change, and all
18 attempts to resolve the issue directly with the maintainer are
19 unsuccessful, then you can still come to the council and we will try to
20 mediate. But I do not support forcing your view over the maintainer's.
21
22 > What happens if I am actually a co-maintainer but another co-maintainer
23 > blocks my changes?
24
25 If the maintainers are part of a team or project, then the (elected)
26 lead can decide. If not, then they will have to reach consensus somehow.
27
28 > imo there should be, and is, an arbitration path for this sort of thing.
29
30 Mediation, yes. Binding arbitration, no.
33 Best regards,
34
35 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn