From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for Agenda Items -- Council Meeting 2015-10-11
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 22:13:56
1 On 10/18/2015 11:18 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 4:58 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Following up to this. I think the choice is between the two extremes
4 >> of keeping the status quo and of changing all non-FHS locations, or
5 >> some intermediate solution.
6 >
7 > The value of keeping the status quo is that it is the status quo, IMO.
8 > Tweaking it makes it no longer the status quo and it just means lot of
9 > change for questionable value (again, IMO).
12 Not keeping status quo means:
13 1. less patching
14 2. less ebuild code
15 3. no misplaced menu files and friends in /usr/share/games/applications
16 and whatnot anymore, since DATADIR and DATAROOTDIR in e.g. autotools
17 based build systems have to be both defined to make this work (only in
18 case upstream has a sane build system). For cmake based build systems
19 this can be even more funny, depending on what upstream does.
20
21 Installing into these games directories is actually _uncommon_ and most
22 upstreams don't have these defaults.
23
24 But it will not be that painful once someone _actually_ deprecates
25 games.eclass, so we get rid of those GAMES_* variables that can point to
26 arbitrary non-FHS compliant directories. These are the biggest problem.
29 > I'd just as soon do away with the games eclass altogether if we're
30 > going to make a change. Then games become like any other package.
31 > That is a state I think is worth changing for. If we're just going to
32 > move one or two directories around, I don't really see why we need to
33 > make everybody jump through hoops, unless those few directories are
34 > causing major problems today.
35 >
36 > Sometimes the compromise between two arguable positions isn't
37 > something that makes sense to anybody. If we're going to change,
38 > let's make sure that what we change to makes sense on its own.