From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: Expanding Foundation Bylaws, section 4.9 Termination from Membership
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 23:16:30
1 On 18-02-10 23:57:02, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu sob, 10.02.2018 o godzinie 15∶31 -0700, użytkownik Daniel Robbins
3 > napisał:
4 > > On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 10:39 AM, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>
5 > > wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > >
8 > > > That, however, is exactly the opposite of another understanding of
9 > > > professional, which intends to attract seasoned system administrators or
10 > > > company representatives.
13 > > "Professional" is more defined by its opposite, "unprofessional". Maybe
14 > > there is more consensus around that word. In a professional environment,
15 > > people make an effort to be polite, friendly, cooperative. There are
16 > > consequences for being disruptive, abusive, rude. Likewise, in Gentoo, we
17 > > should have the same. Maybe not as strict -- but a general understanding
18 > > that you are part of a community and expected to contribute positively to
19 > > the community -- not just positive technical work, but make a positive
20 > > contribution as a HUMAN BEING.
23 > I think the key thing in behaving 'professional' is being able to put
24 > your private differences and/or conflicts aside, and work with other
25 > developers as the situation demands it.
26 >
27 > The the contrary, examples of 'unprofessional' behavior would include
28 > actions such as rudely rejecting requests from a particular developer
29 > [1], or escalating personal issues to commit messages [2].
30 >
31 > [1]:https://bugs.gentoo.org/627592#c1
32 > [2]:https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=f411e279bcad67780663c7973f0d021da4485159
35 I think it's both. You need to act professionally (putting aside
36 differences, etc), AND you need to be disruptive, abusive, rude (at the
37 minimum), at best you should also be polite, friendly, cooperative. The
38 reason I say both are needed is because it's easy to act professional
39 but still be abusive (a coworker going over every commit you make with a
40 fine toothed comb for instance). On the other hand it's also possible
41 to be friendly without being professional about things (a coworker not
42 being focused on work).
45 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)