From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 20:10:00
1 On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 11:47:39 -0800
2 Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:24:08 +0100
5 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > >>>>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2018, William Hubbs wrote:
8 > >
9 > > > On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 06:17:17PM -0800, Rich Freeman wrote:
10 > > >> So, the purpose of allowing specific copyright holders to be
11 > > >> named was to cover cases where we're forking foreign code, not to
12 > > >> basically introduce a variant on the BSD advertising clause. IMO
13 > > >> people who are only willing to contribute FOSS if their name gets
14 > > >> put in a prominent location might do better to contribute
15 > > >> elsewhere.
16 > >
17 > > +1000
18 > >
19 > > Maybe the policy for the Gentoo repository should just say that,
20 > > namely that traditional copyright notices are only allowed for
21 > > imported foreign code. Anything committed directly to the repository
22 > > and any update of an existing file would be required to carry the
23 > > simplified "Gentoo Authors" copyright notice, without any exceptions
24 > > allowed.
25 >
26 > So if SIE employees set up an official overlay, publish there first
27 > and then "import" them to the tree it would pass that metric. That
28 > seems like a silly extra step.
31 > > > Do you feel this way about corporations as well? Do you think the
32 > > > Linux kernel maintainers should go and rip out all copyright
33 > > > notices other than Linus Torvalds and maybe the Linux
34 > > > Foundation?
35 > >
36 > > Why would corporations be different from individual authors? Under
37 > > the legislation here, corporations cannot even hold copyright (or
38 > > rather, Urheberrecht) of a work.
39 >
40 > AFAIK that is not common in legal systems, certainly in the US (where
41 > the Gentoo Foundation is based) copyrights can be held by any legal
42 > entity, including a corporation or a nonprofit.
43 >
44 > > >> The purpose of a copyright notice is to declare that the file is
45 > > >> copyrighted, and that is it.
46 >
47 > It is also to declare who owns the copyright, if it is to declare
48 > simply that is is copyrighted, then one could add packages with the
49 > text "Copyright 1999-2018" without any owner at all.
50 >
51 > > >> It isn't a comprehensive list of everybody who holds a copyright
52 > > >> on the file.
53 > > >>
54 >
55 > No it's not meant to be, it's a list of entities who hold copyright on
56 > a file and want to be listed, this is different. I am not aware of any
57 > open source project with a policy against copyright headers, or
58 > different headers other than ones with copyright attribution. If you
59 > are aware of such a project, please link the policy.
60 >
61 > > >> It isn't a revision history.
62 >
63 > And it is not meant to be.
64 >
65 > > >> But, if you had to have multiple lines, then just wrap the
66 > > >> existing notice. Don't turn it into some kind of revision
67 > > >> history. Just list one year range and whatever list of entities
68 > > >> you feel compelled to list. That is the proper way to do a
69 > > >> notice.
70 > >
71 > > > No sir, it isn't.
72 > >
73 > > > Look anywhere outside the Gentoo tree. For that matter, take the
74 > > > Linux kernel, or even in the systemd source, there are several
75 > > > places with multiple copyright notices in them.
76 > >
77 > > Are these the only arguments you have?
78 > >
79 > > To say it again, ebuilds have a copyright notice for exactly two
80 > > reasons:
81 > >
82 > > - to protect us against the "innocent infringement" defense under
83 > > U.S. law, and
84 > >
85 > > - because the GPL-2 requires in section 1 to "appropriately publish
86 > > on each copy an appropriate copyright notice".
87 > >
88 > > For both of these, it is irrelevant what the precise contents of the
89 > > notice is. If you made a significant contribution to the file, then
90 > > you can claim copyright for it, even if there is no copyright notice
91 > > at all, of if you aren't mentioned in it.
92 > >
93 > > IANAL, but I think the case for being listed there explicitly is
94 > > very weak.
95 >
96 > Is accepting contributions form entities that require it a good
97 > argument? Is this really worth losing valuable contributions over?
98 >
99 > Please explain why this is a major issue worth this level of
100 > discussion? Are a few lines at the top of the ebuild that can be
101 > easily ignored or hidden by editors such a huge issue that you do not
102 > want to accept any contributions that include it? Is this worth losing
103 > developers and contributions over?
104
105 I think one of the fundamental questions we have to ask ourselves is
106 whether we want to encourage or discourage companies from allowing
107 their employees to contribute to Gentoo on work time.
108
109 A lot of developers have left the project because they no longer had
110 the free time to contribute, having paid contributors can help
111 drastically with this, I don't understand why we would want to
112 discourage this. Is avoiding a few extra lines (or characters in
113 existing lines) in some small percentage of ebuilds worth losing the
114 contributions from developers working on Gentoo on work time?