From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] How do you feel about non-contributing developers with commit access?
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 12:45:27
On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 11:22:21AM -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On 18-11-02 16:05:35, Michał Górny wrote: > > Hello, > > > > The Undertakers team has frequently received various forms of > > 'criticism' of their effort in attempting to find and retire inactive > > developers. This is getting as far as to claim that we shouldn't retire > > anyone because there are no limits on commit slots. > > > > Therefore, I would like to ask the wider community a general question: > > how do you feel about preserving commit access for people who no longer > > actively commit to Gentoo? I'm talking about extreme cases, say, > > no commits to any user-visible repository for over a year. > > > > I'm not sure the exact time, but I think it shouldn't be user-visable, > but 'Gentoo' that should ben what's looked at. > > As far as changing the developer to a non-committing developer, what > happens if they want to come back? Would they need to retake the quiz, > re-find a mentor/recruiter, etc?
Yeah it seems like right now never-been-a-dev and was-busy-so-retired-dev have the same long path to (re)gaining full commit privs. I'd like if recruiters had some rough criteria for when you can just become a dev again easily. eg if you havent even used gentoo for years then obviously re-taking the quizzes is good. if you've still been using gentoo a ton but not developing then probably could be re-instated without anything. or if a new big EAPI happened in the meantime then just read up on the changes and you'd be all set. -- Jason