From: Jason Zaman <perfinion@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] How do you feel about non-contributing developers with commit access?
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2018 12:45:27
1 On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 11:22:21AM -0500, Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > On 18-11-02 16:05:35, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > The Undertakers team has frequently received various forms of
6 > > 'criticism' of their effort in attempting to find and retire inactive
7 > > developers. This is getting as far as to claim that we shouldn't retire
8 > > anyone because there are no limits on commit slots.
9 > >
10 > > Therefore, I would like to ask the wider community a general question:
11 > > how do you feel about preserving commit access for people who no longer
12 > > actively commit to Gentoo? I'm talking about extreme cases, say,
13 > > no commits to any user-visible repository for over a year.
16 > I'm not sure the exact time, but I think it shouldn't be user-visable,
17 > but 'Gentoo' that should ben what's looked at.
18 >
19 > As far as changing the developer to a non-committing developer, what
20 > happens if they want to come back? Would they need to retake the quiz,
21 > re-find a mentor/recruiter, etc?
22
23 Yeah it seems like right now never-been-a-dev and
24 was-busy-so-retired-dev have the same long path to (re)gaining full
25 commit privs. I'd like if recruiters had some rough criteria for when
26 you can just become a dev again easily. eg if you havent even used
27 gentoo for years then obviously re-taking the quizzes is good. if you've
28 still been using gentoo a ton but not developing then probably could be
29 re-instated without anything. or if a new big EAPI happened in the
30 meantime then just read up on the changes and you'd be all set.
31
32 -- Jason