From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] changing the default of ACCEPT_LICENSE in portage
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:30:50
1 El jue, 25-07-2013 a las 21:16 +0200, hasufell escribió:
2 [...]
3 > It's mainly about consistency with our social contract and will make
4 > people aware that gentoo by default blocks non-free software, because
5 > every user who wants more than that, will have to edit make.conf.
6
7 But do we really give the impression "Gentoo *blocks* non-free
8 software" (that could make people not yet using Gentoo to think we are
9 some kind of that distributions that are really blocking non-free
10 software and, then, maybe some of them wouldn't even try it because
11 maybe they think his nvidia card won't work ok)
12
13 I would prefer to give the impression we try to use free software when
14 possible even letting people to, for example, install other software
15 easily without needing to use exotic third party repositories. That
16 shows Gentoo as distribution ready for all kind of people:
17 - People wanting to only run FREE
18 - Others not really taking care of it.