From: Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: Gentoo as hobbyist distro
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 06:24:27
1 On 16.06.2019 21:09, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2019-06-15 at 12:42 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 >> Last year we had a good initiative: it addition to (or even instead
4 >> of) manifests nominees were asked questions by voters. So let's
5 >> continue this year.
6 >>
7 >> I propose to have one question per thread spawned by this e-mail to
8 >> keep discussion focused. If you have multiple questions, please
9 >> start multiple threads. If your question was already asked, please
10 >> join a thread.
11 >>
12 > Some developers were recently complaining that we're turning Gentoo into
13 > a hobbyist distro and that's apparently bad.
14 >
15 > Do you think Gentoo should allow for experimental and unstable features,
16 > and possibly breaking changes that make Gentoo more interesting for
17 > hobbyists? Or should we block breaking changes and become more
18 > conservative for users who prefer stable distribution with minimal
19 > maintenance burden?
20 >
21 We must keep gentoo as stable as possible taking care of our production
22 users, I can speak of myself here, I am currently maintaining
23 computation clusters with > 1k units (all are under gentoo), and I would
24 not happy to see my cluster somehow affected by unstable features in the
25 mainline (neither would others I believe).
26
27 Still gentoo is the only meta distribution with freedom of choice, that
28 says we can really implement bleeding edge solutions with a separate
29 profile and something like "I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING=1" variable set in
30 the make.conf, the only question of implementation.