From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Is an umbrella organization a good choice for Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 19:53:22
1 On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:39 PM Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:05 PM Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Am Mittwoch, 26. August 2020, 21:27:56 EEST schrieb Matthew Thode:
6 >> > On 20-08-26 21:23:41, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
7 >> > > https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2020/08/25/is-an-umbrella-organization-a-g
8 >> > > ood-choice-for-gentoo/
9 >> > >
10 >> > > While I'm not the author, I think it's an excellent writeup.
11 >> >
12 >> > Yep, looked good. The one thing I'd like to see it compared to is
13 >> > re-incororation as a non-profit (which may be a requirement to be
14 >> > absorbed under an umbrella org anyway).
15 >>
16 >> If it's just about being absorbed, well, giving away assets is easier for a
17 >> corporation than for a non-profit.
20 >> I personally suspect re-incororation as a non-profit will in that case a) cost
21 >> us unnecessary time and money, and b) potentially make our life harder once we
22 >> finally get rid of the foundation.
25 > Is getting rid of the Foundation a foregone conclusion? It's unclear to me what folks actually want to do.
26
27 It seems like getting rid of the Foundation and moving to an umbrella
28 organization is the best thing to do, IMO.