From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Is an umbrella organization a good choice for Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 19:38:56
1 On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 12:05 PM Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Am Mittwoch, 26. August 2020, 21:27:56 EEST schrieb Matthew Thode:
5 > > On 20-08-26 21:23:41, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
6 > > >
7 > https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2020/08/25/is-an-umbrella-organization-a-g
8 > > > ood-choice-for-gentoo/
9 > > >
10 > > > While I'm not the author, I think it's an excellent writeup.
11 > >
12 > > Yep, looked good. The one thing I'd like to see it compared to is
13 > > re-incororation as a non-profit (which may be a requirement to be
14 > > absorbed under an umbrella org anyway).
15 >
16 > If it's just about being absorbed, well, giving away assets is easier for
17 > a
18 > corporation than for a non-profit.
21 > I personally suspect re-incororation as a non-profit will in that case a)
22 > cost
23 > us unnecessary time and money, and b) potentially make our life harder
24 > once we
25 > finally get rid of the foundation.
28 Is getting rid of the Foundation a foregone conclusion? It's unclear to me
29 what folks actually want to do.
30
31 -A
35 > --
36 > Andreas K. Hüttel
37 > dilfridge@g.o
38 > Gentoo Linux developer
39 > (council, qa, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)