From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Maximum number of EAPIs in tree (was: Call For Agenda Items - 10 Jun 2014)
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 23:27:16
1 On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Thu, 29 May 2014, Andreas K Huettel wrote:
3 >
4 >> Let's decide that the maximum number of EAPIs allowed in the portage
5 >> tree at any time must not exceed 7.
6 >
7 >> 7, since then EAPI=6 can still go ahead as planned.
8 >
9 >> Any new plans afterwards can only proceed if EAPI=1 is finally gone
10 >> (achievable), and for more improvements the bar gets a bit higher
11 >> afterwards.
12 >
13 > That's tree policy, but doesn't prevent PMS and package managers from
14 > supporting more than that number of EAPIs.
15 >
16 > In fact, we could finalise the new EAPI, but devs would only be
17 > allowed to commit such ebuilds to the tree when one of the old EAPIs
18 > is gone. Nice way to increase peer pressure. :-)
19
20 I like the idea of controlling the number of EAPIs in the tree. I
21 don't like doing it this way.
22
23 If the Council thinks there are too many EAPIs, then don't approve any
24 more until it is fixed. Having everybody starting flamewars on the
25 list about fixing their ebuilds or don't touch my ebuilds or whatever
26 because projects are stepping on each other's toes seems like
27 dereliction of duty on the part of the Council. What's the point of
28 having an elected body to make decisions if they're just going to say,
29 "here you go, we created a mess for you, now figure out how to sort it
30 out and let us know if you have any agenda items for next month...?"
31
32 I'm all for picking a guideline like 7, but in the end the same
33 council that sets the limit can change the limit or ignore the limit.
34 It is like having Congress set a budget limit - they can change the
35 limit as quickly as they set it, and they can even do it in the same
36 law that goes over the limit.
37
38 The Council has already taken measures to start deprecating EAPIs, and
39 I'd hope the next Council will continue this in a sensible fashion.
40 However, we can't dictate what they'll do, and if there is a good
41 reason for the number to be 8 then they can make it 8.
42
43 Rich