From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: live ebuilds, masking in p.mask or with empty keywords
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 04:03:46
1 On 3 November 2013 03:35, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I am moving this to a new thread so the thread about agenda items does
5 > not get too long.
6 >
7 > On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 03:25:24PM -0400, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
9 >> Hash: SHA1
10 >>
11 >> On 11/02/2013 02:52 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
12 >
13 > * snip *
14 >
15 >> > Can we discuss and maybe vote on how we want live ebuilds in the tree? I
16 >> > see three possibilities:
17 >> >
18 >> > 1) empty keywords (this appears to be what most people are doing)
19 >> > 2) package.mask (not required, the way I see it, because of 1 and
20 >> > because package.mask shouldn't be permanent)
21 >> > 3) both package.mask and empty keywords (this would be double masking,
22 >> > and again shouldn't be necessary)
23 >> >
24 >> > Thoughts?
25 >>
26 >> Personally, I prefer option 1. That said, there is a reason for Options
27 >> 2 and 3.
28 >>
29 >> When using a minor arch, a lot of packages are not keyworded for that
30 >> arch, which then requires me to install them with KEYWORDS="**" and that
31 >> pulls in live ebuilds all the time. Personally, I'm fine dealing with
32 >> things like that, but that would be a valid reason for requiring
33 >> package.mask. That said, if we want to persue that, I would say that we
34 >> should start adding keywords to live ebuilds (~arch obviously) and
35 >> p.mask them so we know what arches it is expected to work on.
36 >
37 > Have you tried specifying the version of the package you want, e.g.
38 >
39 > =app-misc/foo-x.y.z **
40 >
41 > should pull in the exact version you want to test.
42 >
43 > William
46 We already have an existing policy, which is option 1.
49 Cheers,
50
51 Ben | yngwin
52 Gentoo developer