From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation - 1.0 reply
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:49:48
1 Personally I think that the organization should be as follows
2
3 1. Foundation, with members
4
5 a. A member of the foundation is anyone who has proven more than passing
6 contribution to gentoo and who proves continuing interest in its future.
7 b. Foundation members elect trustees
8 c. Trustees vote on global issues affecting the foundation and gentoo as a
9 whole
10 d. Trustees also maintain the bylaws that govern other structures of gentoo
11
12 2. Departments/special projects/trustee supervised roles
13
14 Exact terminology for this is fuzzy, but basically, I think there are
15 certain roles that should not be limited only to
16 developers/codemonkey/techie types
17
18 a. HR roles
19
20 HR is a very much non technical duty and I don't think it's proper to
21 restrict entirely to developers with commit access.
22
23 Nor do I think that the only people who should have a voice in gentoo's
24 future are techies who know how to code and bang out ebuilds.
25
26 This HR role would include recruiters, comrel, and undertakers.
27
28 b. Infra
29
30 Anything that directly affects whether developers can do their jobs should
31 not be limited entirely to developers. Having an "outside" oversight not
32 within the developer community itself would also insulate such an essential
33 role from nasty politics.
34
35 c. PR
36
37 d. Anything else important to gentoo but which does not necessarily
38 require technical expertise or ebuild wrangling skills or what have you.
39
40 3. A council, elected by ebuild wranglers/techies, to decide on global
41 issues of a technical nature
42
43 As we have it now. Someone needs to be a technical standards body, and
44 democratically speaking it should be a group accountable to the people
45 using the standards in question.