From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 14 August 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 00:02:59
1 On 08/14/2012 02:35 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 23:17:56 +0200
3 > "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Waiting for a profile EAPI increase seems to be
5 >> something like waiting for Sankt Nimmerleinstag (in German, waiting
6 >> for the nameday of a saint that does not actually exist, i.e.
7 >> hopelessly waiting forever).
8 >
9 > The only reason all this takes so long is because getting anything done
10 > with EAPIs involves wasting months dealing with people who demand to
11 > know why their favourite unicorn isn't there yet, why the EAPI process
12 > isn't what they want it to be, why EAPIs have to exist at all, why we
13 > have to care about stability, why we have to change things, why we
14 > can't change things, etc etc.
15 >
16 > If getting things quickly is a goal, then you should ask the Council to
17 > look into reducing the amount of public discussion and concensus that's
18 > necessary to deliver a new EAPI.
19
20 It seems like there's some confusion here. Approving a new EAPI and
21 deciding to use a new EAPI in a given profile are two entirely different
22 things. If we want to us a new EAPI in a profile, we just have to deploy
23 it such that users are only exposed to that profile when they
24 consciously running `eselect profile` (and they can always revert back
25 to the previous profile if it turns out that their installed package
26 manager doesn't support the new profile).
27 --
28 Thanks,
29 Zac