From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Evidence of idella4's damage to Gentoo, please
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 23:48:37
1 On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > So, as far as Gentoo: I think the distro has become a bit too bureaucratic
4 > and
5 > has lost some of the will to get things done. To salvage the project, it
6 > will need
7 > to open up and focus on getting things done rather than to focus on being a
8 > community that doesn't want to offend anybody.
9
10 So, while I agree with the majority of your post in general, I don't
11 see how it really fits Gentoo. Most of those in leadership have been
12 fairly up-front that they're much more concerned about pragmatism than
13 rules. There are certainly reasons to have
14 rules/guidelines/documentation/etc, but we'll never have a perfect set
15 of rules and we don't let written rules stand in the way of doing the
16 right thing.
17
18 When somebody messes up, comrel deals with it. If they have a problem
19 with comrel the council deals with it. If the community has a problem
20 with the council they can vote for a different council. I don't
21 really see a lot of bureaucracy here.
22
23 In fact, I think this is one of the largest misconceptions I see in
24 debates on this general topic. People seem to think that if they
25 could just see all the data they could point out where some reasoning
26 was wrong and change the Council's minds, as if there is some kind of
27 logical argument at stake which must be won.
28
29 I haven't seen many appeals, but when I vote to uphold a comrel
30 decision typically it is fairly obvious that something wrong was done,
31 and I'm more interested in whether the person involved acknowledges
32 that what they did was wrong and that they intend to not continue to
33 do it.
34
35 In the well over 100 posts and IRC logs that this general topic has
36 attracted I've seen all kinds of things:
37
38 1. Arguments about whether complaints about people should be handled
39 in public or private.
40
41 2. Arguments about whether we should be concerned about anybody's
42 non-technical behavior at all.
43
44 3. Arguments about the process.
45
46 4. Arguments that Gentoo would be better off if only person A were a developer.
47
48 5. Arguments that Gentoo would be better off if only persons B and C
49 were still developers, apparently setting aside the fact that when
50 person C last quit they expressed that it was in part out of
51 frustration that person B was even allowed to post on the lists.
52
53 6. Arguments that because we haven't kicked out everybody who does
54 anything wrong we can't kick out anybody who does anything wrong.
55
56 7. Suggestions that there are conspiracies or personal biases or that
57 Gentoo devs don't care about anybody who isn't a dev or that nobody is
58 interested in recruiting/leading/whatevering.
59
60 8. People complaining that Comrel does too much.
61
62 9. People complaining that comrel does too little.
63
64 The one thing I haven't seen is anybody saying, "Ok, maybe I blew it,
65 and I'm sorry, I promise I won't do it again." And, honestly, when I
66 see an appeal that is probably the one thing I'm most interested in
67 seeing.
68
69 Sure, if there were no evidence that somebody did something wrong then
70 I would back them up in an appeal. However, the fact is that most of
71 us blow it at one point or another and the thing that
72 recruiters/comrel/council/etc end up looking for is signs that
73 somebody is committed to following the CoC in the future, regardless
74 of what has happened in the past.
78 Rich